• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bonnet Stripes on tractors

Titch Sanders

Hi Folks,
can anyone assist me please, I struggle with technology and want to recreate these stripes. With graduated Black dots, from nothing into a solid Black, straight onto Silver vinyl in my Edge II.
I've seen it done and indeed had older foils with evidence of it being done by previous user of a second hand edge..but, can I work it out..
Please be gentle with me..it takes a lot of 'sinking in' these days..
The attached image is what I'm trying to recreate.. (if I can attach the image even..)
Regards all,
Titch Sanders (UK)

Attachments

• case 1455.jpg
    case 1455.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 294

unclebun

Do you need it to be a dot gradient, or just a gradient? What software are you using to create your artwork?

Billct2

If it's just a smooth gradient we do them all the time with Gerber Composer. When you use the "Assign Colors" box "Gradient" is one of the options. You may have to play with to get the exact same fade. If it's a "Dot" pattern made where you actually see small circles of color you have more work to do by setting up rows of circle and making them smaller as they progress, but that can also be done on an Edge.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Pretty much all of the construction and ag equipment manufacturers use a halftone rather than a gradient. I couldn't imagine that they are all screen printing these so what is the reasoning behind it?

Titch Sanders

Do you need it to be a dot gradient, or just a gradient? What software are you using to create your artwork?
Hi There,
they are physically Black dots yes..that fade away smaller to just the Silver vinyl and the other end all blend into the soild Black..if I'm explaining myself well enough...
Frustrating as I have seen it done on the edge, and a couple of years ago I managed to recreate on much much smaller prints..but cannot remember how I did it, but yes, 'dots' is the word thanks..
Fade, may not be a good way to describe the effect in reality..
Thanks so far all,
Titch

unclebun

I believe the Edge makes color gradients with a dot screen effect anyway, doesn't it? Normally you try to make the dots as small as possible so they are inapparent to the viewer. But if you want them larger, there should be someplace in the software to make them bigger. That's what he means by increasing the halftone Lines Per Inch (LPI)

Billct2

Yes, you can adjust the halftone and lines per inch. Usually it's done to smooth out the gradients, but I think I did some where I increased the dots.
The lower the LPI the grainer it gets. Not sure if it will work but it's worth a try. I attached pics of where it is. The only other way I know is to design it with circles.

Attachments

• 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 222