• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Boudica...................................

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You Don't Bring Me Flowers

This one of a kind version of "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" first aired in July, 1978 on WGN radio's Roy Leonard Show in Chicago. For several weeks Leonard and his producer, Pete Marino, had played Neil Diamond's solo recording of the song. Shortly thereafter, Barbra Streisand's new "Songbird" album was released and it included her rendition of this beautiful ballad.

When Marino heard the Streisand recording he came up with the idea of creating a duet. He went into one of the WGN radio studios with an engineer and a record turner. Streisand's album was placed on one turntable and Diamond's on another. They started with Barbra's vocal, immediately followed by Neil's voice overlapping hers. The two superstar voices blended magically and beautifully together. As they repeated the romantic lyrics back and forth, what came out of the studio speakers was jaw-dropping. There weren't any actual edits and it was mixed in one take.

Even after the official Columbia Records version was released, WGN radio listeners continued to request the Roy Leonard Show version. The song became an instant classic and Leonard and Marino were each presented with a Gold Record for one million copies sold. Eventually, the song went Platinum. On February 27, 1980, Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand brought the house down at the Shrine Auditorium when they made a surprise appearance at the 22nd Annual Grammy Awards where they performed the duet "Live" for the first time.