• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Boudica...................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha....... I used to sing this in one of the bands I was in back in the 70's. But I didn't have a fender rhodes, just an electric wurlitzer with hammers striking a metal rod instead of a string.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Seemed like you were trying to take us on a tour.
No. Just a couple of oldies I like that others might also. Certainly neither were Bossa Nova style or Brazilian in origin. So I chose to sarcastically point out in a roundabout way the inappropriateness of your reply.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can categorize the song however you like, but try to remember a song....... any song, consists of time signatures, rhythms, flavor, montunas and many other components. A musician can call it what he or she wants, also. What's left is the person, performing to the song. Other than the offbeat drum solo, most anyone would dance a bossa nova to this bossa song. One could dance mambo or maybe even a syncopated swing, but the root is still bossa. No samba, far too slow and too fast for rhumba. The other song was never indicated, so I don't know why you'd even say "either". The second one is nothing more than a novelty tune. I've listened to all styles of music my whole life. Played and arranged music for another almost 60. Studied it in dance for about 32 years.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can categorize the song however you like, but try to remember a song....... any song, consists of time signatures, rhythms, flavor, montunas and many other components. A musician can call it what he or she wants, also. What's left is the person, performing to the song. Other than the offbeat drum solo, most anyone would dance a bossa nova to this bossa song. One could dance mambo or maybe even a syncopated swing, but the root is still bossa. No samba, far too slow and too fast for rhumba. The other song was never indicated, so I don't know why you'd even say "either". The second one is nothing more than a novelty tune. I've listened to all styles of music my whole life. Played and arranged music for another almost 60. Studied it in dance for about 32 years.

Cozy Cole was an American jazz drummer who worked a lot with Louis Armstrong and Cab Calloway. I can find no reference to any of the better known names like Stan Getz, Charlie Byrd, Hank Mobley, Quincy Jones and others who actively promoted Bossa Nova in the early going. Cole and Gene Krupa played a number of drum duets at the Metropole in New York in the 1950s and 1960s which were classified as jazz.

I'm glad you feel you have good credentials in the world of music. I just don't see or hear the connection to Bossa Nova you seem so convinced you hear in Topsy Part 2.