• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bought Used Gerber Edge, Connection/Communication Cable Trouble

Will308decals

Hey everyone,

I recently just purchased a ton of Gerber Edge foils and was given a Gerber Edge 1 along with it. The seller claims it works but does have a dead pixel. I have turned it on and plugged my connection cable into it (the cable I use for my Edge 2) and it just doesn't have communication between the computer and the printer. What can be the solution to this problem and how can I fix it?

I haven't played around with it much but the reason for that is I have no idea what I'm doing, can someone walk me through how to get the cable to connect with the printer if that possible?

Thank you and any help is appreciated,
Will

netsol

how about a picture of front of unit, model number and picture of your cable (BOTH ENDS)
what softwsre, gerber? flexi?

you say gerber 1? a trunnion? (the one with the stupid handle with black knob, coming out the front?
setup for serial or parallel?

we have some medical issies with my wife (and there are others better than me, at this kind of problem)
but i will watch for reply

Will308decals

how about a picture of front of unit, model number and picture of your cable (BOTH ENDS)
what softwsre, gerber? flexi?

you say gerber 1? a trunnion? (the one with the stupid handle with black knob, coming out the front?
setup for serial or parallel?

we have some medical issies with my wife (and there are others better than me, at this kind of problem)
but i will watch for reply
Should have given pictures and better details before, but I am using Omega 6.5. This is the printer and the two cords that came with it. I tried both cords and didn't get a print image. Do i need to "download" the comm. cords to the software or something?

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93

Adam.Foster

Should have given pictures and better details before, but I am using Omega 6.5. This is the printer and the two cords that came with it. I tried both cords and didn't get a print image. Do i need to "download" the comm. cords to the software or something?
If you have an Eedge2 installed and working with the black cable in the photos, then you will need to install the Edge1 in Omega Plot. Once installed select the Edge1 before output and then hit print to device. You should get a communication error in GQmgr. Terminate the job. then right click on the Edge1 and go to Properties. You should see a window with USB information and "List" Button. click on List and look under connected devices for "WinUSB Gerber Edge USB to Parallel Cable" select that and hit ok. You should now be able to output. If it still doesn't work, try putting the Edge1 in online mode before sending.

Adam.Foster

If the above doesn't work, check windows Device manager. go to Universal serial Bus controllers and look for "WinUSB Gerber Edge USB to Parallel Cable. Double click on it and go to Driver. Verify that it says Driver provider "Gerber Scientific Products" If not take a screen shot of what it does have and post here.

Will308decals

If you have an Eedge2 installed and working with the black cable in the photos, then you will need to install the Edge1 in Omega Plot. Once installed select the Edge1 before output and then hit print to device. You should get a communication error in GQmgr. Terminate the job. then right click on the Edge1 and go to Properties. You should see a window with USB information and "List" Button. click on List and look under connected devices for "WinUSB Gerber Edge USB to Parallel Cable" select that and hit ok. You should now be able to output. If it still doesn't work, try putting the Edge1 in online mode before sending.
What you said here I followed and to all worked. Everything works as it does on my Edge 2 (what I currently use). The issue I am running into is when I get this message screen, usually I am able to just go to the printer and tap through the online button on the printer. This new (to me) edge 1 printer will not get off of the "online" screen. It won't get to the usual foil and vinyl color screens. Any other suggestions? Seems like the software and installation part is working fine

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 3.09.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 3.09.39 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 64

Will308decals

What you said here I followed and to all worked. Everything works as it does on my Edge 2 (what I currently use). The issue I am running into is when I get this message screen, usually I am able to just go to the printer and tap through the online button on the printer. This new (to me) edge 1 printer will not get off of the "online" screen. It won't get to the usual foil and vinyl color screens. Any other suggestions? Seems like the software and installation part is working fine
Follow up, I ran a test print with the printer and it works. There is a dead pixel but that was suspected. So the printer does work, just having trouble working when I send an image from software to printer

flychick

I have the same printer the runs off of the computers parallel port (Lpt1) and directly connects to the printer with a centronics connector. The cable you show has DB25 on both ends so I don't how you are plugging into the printer. Your USB cable has the correct printer end but I never seen the printer work from a USB port.

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
You can only run one Edge at a time via USB on a computer. You're likely confusing the ports. Try unplugging the Edge 2 and see if the Edge 1 will work.