• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box Truck Dilemma

airborneassault

Good afternoon and Happy Wednesday everybody!

I have a dilemma right now that I'm a bit frazzled about. I was contacted about doing a contract install for a company out of state, no worries we do these pretty regularly for a few different companies but this one is new. Company is a "certified" Scotchal print facility so like a dummy I assumed I'd be getting at least some decent 3M materials...wrong. 24' box truck with rivets every 2' or so and 4" vertically and I'm provided a calendared Mactac product with 8509 laminate. The advertising campaign is only meant to last 1 year so I understand there's some need for a short term vinyl but with the rivets as tightly spaced as they are and the fact both of these materials are bottom of the barrel calendared products I have my serious reservations.

Anyhow I installed one of the trucks last weekend (before I knew it was 8509...I actually assumed it was Arlon with a cast laminate) and got an even better surprise, of the 6 panels per side 2 were printed on 180cv3 while the other 4 were the aforementioned Mactac & 8509. Of course with nobody to get in touch with over the weekend I was stuck so I finished the install to the best of my ability and had a call & email in to the printer on Monday. That is when I was informed the material was Mactac, they in fact made a mistake with the 180 and have resent replacement panels and they reassured me the customer was aware the rivets would basically look like crap on toast but just for a little added confidence they suggested I use primer 94 to help it stay down around the rivets.

Am I wrong in contemplating turning down the 2nd truck? I feel my reputation is the one that will be at stake not the out of state printer who has collected their money and is down the road on the next job. To complicate things even more the retail customer contacted a design firm who then sought out the printer who found me for the installation, as far as the retail customer is concerned it's just me and the design firm, they have no knowledge of the out of state printer so I'm afraid since it is well known in my community I design/print/install in house they will assume I printed these trucks and basically spec'd just material. Any thoughts?

CheapVehicleWrap

Run! I recently turned down 130+ tractors because as it turned out (in the end), they were going with an unlaminated pre-masked non-wrap white vinyl.

TXFB.INS

Run! I recently turned down 130+ tractors because as it turned out (in the end), they were going with an unlaminated pre-masked non-wrap white vinyl.

+1

and also contact the customer and inform them that you are no longer involved with the project and any questions need to be directed to the design firm and the out of state printer

HulkSmash

Good afternoon and Happy Wednesday everybody!

I have a dilemma right now that I'm a bit frazzled about. I was contacted about doing a contract install for a company out of state, no worries we do these pretty regularly for a few different companies but this one is new. Company is a "certified" Scotchal print facility so like a dummy I assumed I'd be getting at least some decent 3M materials...wrong. 24' box truck with rivets every 2' or so and 4" vertically and I'm provided a calendared Mactac product with 8509 laminate. The advertising campaign is only meant to last 1 year so I understand there's some need for a short term vinyl but with the rivets as tightly spaced as they are and the fact both of these materials are bottom of the barrel calendared products I have my serious reservations.

Anyhow I installed one of the trucks last weekend (before I knew it was 8509...I actually assumed it was Arlon with a cast laminate) and got an even better surprise, of the 6 panels per side 2 were printed on 180cv3 while the other 4 were the aforementioned Mactac & 8509. Of course with nobody to get in touch with over the weekend I was stuck so I finished the install to the best of my ability and had a call & email in to the printer on Monday. That is when I was informed the material was Mactac, they in fact made a mistake with the 180 and have resent replacement panels and they reassured me the customer was aware the rivets would basically look like crap on toast but just for a little added confidence they suggested I use primer 94 to help it stay down around the rivets.

Am I wrong in contemplating turning down the 2nd truck? I feel my reputation is the one that will be at stake not the out of state printer who has collected their money and is down the road on the next job. To complicate things even more the retail customer contacted a design firm who then sought out the printer who found me for the installation, as far as the retail customer is concerned it's just me and the design firm, they have no knowledge of the out of state printer so I'm afraid since it is well known in my community I design/print/install in house they will assume I printed these trucks and basically spec'd just material. Any thoughts?

I do an obscene amount of install only for national companies.. And many get turned down for the sheer fact of your issue.

I don't wrap anything in calendered vinyl that is supplied by another shop. Never.

rjssigns

You guys should see some of the McDonalds box trucks around here. Sheeesh. Looks like a bunch of monkeys installed them. Bubbles, huge creases, all the mortal sins of installation. I don't care if it is coming off in a few weeks. If I ever need help the shop that does the installs wouldn't even rate a glance from me now.

One of my uncles had a very successful body shop. Here is what he told me: "It takes forever to build a good reputation and only one half a**ed job to ruin it".