• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brazing aluminum

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is brazing aluminum comparable to welding it as far as strength? I've soldered parts before and it looks like a similar process but just on a larger scale. Would it be strong enough for small sign frames? I use a guy that welds but lately it takes a week or two before he can get to the jobs... wondering if this is something that I should be doing in house or is this just a stupid idea?

Last edited:

rjssigns

Nope. IMO I would only use the low temp rod for decorative pieces not structural. Too bad you're so far away. I could TIG those today.

spectrum maine

i have welded cast aluminum with a special rod they sell at tractor supply, worked excellent. you need a mapp gas handheld torch as it burns around 200 degrees hotter than propane. very small window on cast, but much easier in aluminum angle & sheet

Evan Gillette

With the price of import welders, it would be well worth it to get a small setup and learn (either spoolgun(mig) or tig) if you do any volume, its a great skill to learn. It will take a couple thousand in tools/materials and a few nights of practice to get the hang of it. Generally speaking:
Spoolgun (mig) = fast and ugly (easier to learn)
Tig = clean and pretty (much more time consuming to learn)

For basic equipment recommendations and some decent advice lookup chucke2009 on youtube. I have a small DC mig (steel only) and an AHP ac/dc tig/stick machine (aluminum and steel/stainless/chromoly)