• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bringing a CJ-500 back from the dead....

Vohaul

So....i work in a printshop / signage place...we used to use a converted to eco sol cj-500 for everything..anyway the shop now uses an xr-640..and the poor cj-500 has been sitting for 3 or so years....

I just got told it was going to be thrown away....so i took it home....blew the dust off of it...and fired it up...did a test cut...yaay...works...print test not so much....

can anyone help me here...if it isnt too costly, id love to get it printing again....i did a few cleanings...(not power cleanings)...nothing....then i hit the head wash button.....sigh....i shoulda read the forum.....now its stuck in a loop...telling me that i need to insert cleaning tanks etc..

Can someone here help me out of this mess and help me get her working again....is there a proceedure to get the heads cleaned and working again....?..or out of this loop:)

as right now it wont even cut...:)

Thanks all....

Cheers

Paul

artbot

the "cleaning carts" from back in the day didn't have a chip or any sort of ID. i pull out the ink carts. now unhook the pump line from the cap. put back in the color carts. tell it to proceed. the printer will click along but not be pulling ink. then it will think it's done. pull out the color carts then put them back in. the printer will believe that the cleaning carts have been swapped out. one thing, i wouldn't be pulling three year old ink through that printer. there's filters on the dampers but the ink's got to be crusty on a microscopic level. as far as cleaning carts, buy some clear epson carts, make your own solution and run it through the printer. when your done, you can fill those carts with fresh color.

Vohaul

the "cleaning carts" from back in the day didn't have a chip or any sort of ID. i pull out the ink carts. now unhook the pump line from the cap. put back in the color carts. tell it to proceed. the printer will click along but not be pulling ink. then it will think it's done. pull out the color carts then put them back in. the printer will believe that the cleaning carts have been swapped out. one thing, i wouldn't be pulling three year old ink through that printer. there's filters on the dampers but the ink's got to be crusty on a microscopic level. as far as cleaning carts, buy some clear epson carts, make your own solution and run it through the printer. when your done, you can fill those carts with fresh color.

i actually have fresh ink from the xr-640...as a rule...at work they pull the cartridges when they are just over 1/4 full...so i just grab em before they hit the dumpster....

so you think the heads might be ok?...where do i get epson carts...and what kind of cleaning solution should i use?...rolands?

oh, the other thing...while all of this is going on..is it seems to keep having a motor error....telling me to shut off the machine and restart....
lol...

Sorry for all the questions.....but thanks

Cheers

Paul

artbot

well i'm assuming that the cj500 is an eco-solvent conversion from back in the day. i'd do some research before loading the new roland ink. the older rolands were conversions. the cartridge piercing area and the manifolds of the heads were not
able to withstand full solvent ink. so check around with cj500 compatible ink. you may be in the clear maybe not.

the cleaning solution should be butyl cellosolve (5 parts) and acetone (1 part). the epson clear carts on are ebay. just get the ones that say "without chips".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-...150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd2fc2eb6

also, i'm parting out an FJ50. the motors may be the same on the CJ and FJ. if the motor continues to error i can sell you one (my printer has very low miles).

Vohaul

well i'm assuming that the cj500 is an eco-solvent conversion from back in the day. i'd do some research before loading the new roland ink. the older rolands were conversions. the cartridge piercing area and the manifolds of the heads were not
able to withstand full solvent ink. so check around with cj500 compatible ink. you may be in the clear maybe not.

the cleaning solution should be butyl cellosolve (5 parts) and acetone (1 part). the epson clear carts on are ebay. just get the ones that say "without chips".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Refillable-...150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd2fc2eb6

also, i'm parting out an FJ50. the motors may be the same on the CJ and FJ. if the motor continues to error i can sell you one (my printer has very low miles).

Well, the motor continues to error....but theres no code...nor does it say which motor it is....feed or scan.....

just motor error please turn off .... anyone else have this issue?

out of curiousity, how much for the motor...

JMDigital

Well, the motor continues to error....but theres no code...nor does it say which motor it is....feed or scan.....

just motor error please turn off .... anyone else have this issue?

out of curiosity, how much for the motor...

I have a CJ500 converted to ECO-SOLVENT ink and it works great. I was getting a MOTOR ERROR , If it starts to setup the paper get about 1/2 way and then stops that was the SCAN MOTOR on my CJ. It was about 480.00 for the part. I am using Roland Eco-Solvent inks. and have a heater installed. I have no problems with it. My only worry is I heard that Roland stopped selling the print heads. So it may be hard to get new ones.

JMDigital