• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Broken USB key

Club18Racing

First time on this site. I have a vinyl cutter that I bought probably back in the early 2000's. The pc got knocked of a desk and broke the USB key that you need to run the plotter. Is there a hack that can get past it now? Bought it to do graphic vinyl on my son's racecar. then we started using complete wraps (Buying them). So I haven't used the plotter in a long time. The connections are so old school, It may not even work with the computers today. But it was always fun making some small sponsorship decals.
vinyl1.jpeg
vinyl2.jpeg

netsol

Premium Subscriber
believe it or not, your easiest answer may be to get someone who can solder really well to repair it.

a tv repair shop? if such a thing still exists. we used to do that sort of thing all the time

Club18Racing

netsol, Thank you for your reply. We tried putting it back together with no success. this thing broke probably 10 years ago and the USB key is long gone.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
i know you can get older copies of flexisign that are free (someone else on the site will have to post the details. i have never done it)

if no one responds, i probably have an OLD flexicut (long before they were SAI, but you would need to design in something else, corel or illustrator

lets see if anyone responds and i will look in the warehouse, in the boxes that haven't seen the light of day. you are welcome to the ancient flexi, if it helps

netsol

Premium Subscriber
it's probably something like version 5.6
i used it with my Gerber 4B, back in the mid to late 1990's

if someone tells you how to get the flexi 8, you might be better off

Club18Racing

Thanks netsol. I figured it was a long shot, just wanted to test the waters before I trashed it. May just buy a new or used one, I really don't do anything fancy, just graphics for a dirt race car. Small ones at that, the wraps cover most of the car

Club18Racing

ChicagoGraphics and netsol, thank you both for replying. Can I get a little (explaination) more information on exactly what you are talking about. I am not familiar with "a root kit as part of the package". Are you trying to sell me something? or is this labor intensive?

hobbymad

ChicagoGraphics and netsol, thank you both for replying. Can I get a little (explaination) more information on exactly what you are talking about. I am not familiar with "a root kit as part of the package". Are you trying to sell me something? or is this labor intensive?
Rootkits and keyloggers are nasty pieces of software installed by criminals....typically obtained from downloading pirated software from torrents, etc.

hobbymad

What is the make/model etc. of the cutter? By "USB key" do you mean the port to connect it to a computer? Since you posted a picture of the CD in it's drive I'm a bit confused...

Club18Racing

hobby mad, Your reply is well received, thank you!!! It is at my sons house. The USB key had to be plugged in before you get get your pc to talk to the plotter. All the connections are like 6 pin or 12 pin (old) connectors. It may be that the computers today can't even talk to it, they may not even support the plotter anymore. I will see him tomorrow and bring it back to the house so I can get the information

hobbymad

Sounds like serial port connections. I think you can buy cards and adaptors for it. I wonder was the USB just an alternative way to cut without needing a PC? My Graphtec works like that, you can talk to it through a cable connected to a PC or do the cut design on a separate PC and put the file on a USB key and plug that into the cutter.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Club18
I was referring to a rootkit, a really evil, hard to detect virus or piece of malware you can get, if your cracked software comes from a torrent site

Just a warning to be careful with free software that can cause all types of problems

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Hobbymad
The USB device is a "dongle"
It assures the manufacturer that although you can install the software on multiple devices, it will only run on one at a time. It's only purpose is license enforcement

Club18Racing

netsol, you have indeed been a big help. I talked to my son and picked up the plotter today, and in fact the USB was a dongle for the graphics program as you mentioned so a user had to have it to work the graphics program. I have some experience with Inkscape and might give that a try. The plotter is good still in the box (just an old Vinyl Express with serial and parallel port connecters).

Thank you for all of your input!

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Club18racing
You are still welcome to my copy of flexicut, I located it yesterday
You would need to design in an older version of adobe, Corel or something,and then import into flexi.
Let me know if you would like it