• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a Cutter !

Ham_Ray

Why not look into a print/cut option like a used Roland vp-540 or 300?

Do you know any reliable place to buy a vp540. Watched the videos of it and honestly I loved it. I assume I cant find a new one and should shoot for a used machine.

Thanks for the advise though.

player

Roland printer/cutters are very reliable. There is a way in the service mode to tell how much use a unit has on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For just starting out I'd get a 24" Roland. You can find good used ones for $1,000. You will need software to run it, I use SignLab, Fexi is the most popular I think. There are also add on's so you can cut right out of Corel and other vector based programs.

If I were you I'd get a small 24" pay CASH for it, you can always go bigger if it works out, and if you don't make any money you won't be out as much. BTW I have a 24" Roland I bought in 1990 or so and it is still cutting away today, those other brands can't say that.

Anyone else have a plotter running today they got 25 years ago? Proof in the puddin'!

Not quite 25 years, but we got our 2 Gerbers in 1994. A 30" sprocket fed and a 15" sprocket fed. The 30" is built like a Sherman tank, but the little one needs coaxing most of the time. I had it in to have fixed, paid a great deal and it came back still broken. P!ssed me off, cause they did nothing about it except ignore me.

sardocs

I've been running an Ioline Studio 8 plotter everyday for 25 years. Never had to service it or repair it in any way. I just change the blades every once in a while, and go back to cuttin' money.