• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying polycarbonate & acrylic sheets from china ocean freight save 60% vs usa

aluminumwelder

For example:
1/16" white polycarbonate sheet $25 china vs $50 Usa
5mm thick one way acrylic mirror $140 china vs $410 usa

anyone importing directly from china? Obviously only economical for larger orders of at least a few thousand dollars since freight fees are around $800
would easily save me over $10k a year about 50%
if i bought full skids from usa plastic distributors would only get about 15% discount

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Look for a few other people like yourself and form a little buying group and set up a disbatching center and distribute it to whomever involved. Everyone saves money, even the person initiating the whole thing. All you want is buying power. Just a little information for ya........ this is exactly what you're getting now, but someone else is putting their markup and profit on top, to recoup their costs. If you want the headaches and deadends they go through..... knock yourself out.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

aluminumwelder

No need for all that lol
even buying for myself alone i save 50% with no headaches from customers to distribute too

Look for a few other people like yourself and form a little buying group and set up a disbatching center and distribute it to whomever involved. Everyone saves money, even the person initiating the whole thing. All you want is buying power. Just a little information for ya........ this is exactly what you're getting now, but someone else is putting their markup and profit on top, to recoup their costs. If you want the headaches and deadends they go through..... knock yourself out.

aluminumwelder

I actually have called several usa plastic manufacturers and ask them if they would sell to me directly and their answer is always no you have to buy through distributor which I would understand if I was only buying a couple sheets at a time but I always asked for a whole pallet to make it worth their time

Luckily the Chinese manufacturers don't mind selling directly to me it is just hard to figure out which ones will deliver a good product it's taken me a few weeks of research and going back-and-forth to find a good supplier for poly carbonate and acrylic

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you made sure you are comparing apples to apples ?? I'm sure you have on the surface, but ideally, you could get some spec sheets and make sure you are getting what you are expecting.

How can someone making a product, 100% as our products, be 1/2 the price, especially after shipping it around the world, going through port taxes and all the other stuff and still be so much less ?? Sure, their labor is cheaper, but the ingredients are still the same on a product such as this... [or so we think]. It's all about materials and machinery making it. Very little in actual labor is needed. Not like they are assembling a cell phone..... )))

fresh

i'm pretty against buying china made materials. It undermines our economy. We are literally taking money away from ourselves by sending it to Asia. We spend $1000 on something from overseas, and we will never see that money again. If we spend $1500 on something made in the USA, it will eventually find its way back to us.

"MADE IN THE USA" means a lot to me.

So if you buy china made materials and you're able to significantly undercut your competition, you're going to force more jobs out of the country.

buy USA made products, please :)

Baz

China also subsidizes shipping exports.

I understand wanting to save money. And honestly that's the way it is today. Think for yourself because no one else will.

But when you are in a "we have to do something about losing our jobs" discussion.
Then it's time to reflect on what you are doing to help remedy the problem.
Are you honestly willing to pay more out of your pocket to save someone else's job?

player

I understand wanting to save money. And honestly that's the way it is today. Think for yourself because no one else will.

But when you are in a "we have to do something about losing our jobs" discussion.
Are you honestly willing to pay more out of your pocket to save someone else's job?

No.

reQ

I buy deal more & more with Chinese companies for products. Right now its mostly promo items that they sell VERY cheap. I understand about supporting local, but can't do it with 3x the price unfortunately. Right now i will be importing flatbed laminator from China. So here is price break down for you to compare:

1) CWT 5x12' table - $25k + tax
2) RollsRoller 5x12 Table - $27k + tax
3) Chinese 5x12 table $13700 delivered to my door, taxesd & duties included in that number.

All funds in Canadian dollars

Sorry, but i can't make myself spending twice as much just to buy USA/Canada made

P.S. Many substrate suppliers import from China anyways, so at lest 50% of "I buy Canada/USA made" is an illusion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I buy deal more & more with Chinese companies for products. Right now its mostly promo items that they sell VERY cheap. I understand about supporting local, but can't do it with 3x the price unfortunately. Right now i will be importing flatbed laminator from China. So here is price break down for you to compare:

1) CWT 5x12' table - $25k + tax
2) RollsRoller 5x12 Table - $27k + tax
3) Chinese 5x12 table $13700 delivered to my door, taxesd & duties included in that number.

All funds in Canadian dollars

Sorry, but i can't make myself spending twice as much just to buy USA/Canada made

P.S. Many substrate suppliers import from China anyways, so at lest 50% of "I buy Canada/USA made" is an illusion.

Got that right. I get a product in which the label, clearly states made in America. In fact, it says it's made in Pennsylvania. That might tell ya who I'm talking about. About two years ago, I got some single sided substrate, again it states made in America. Did our thing to it, but when we removed the rear masking, it CLEARLY said in very small print in a straight line across the entire panel... 'Made in China' and stamped about 25 times. I called my supplier and asked him when this company started offering Chinese products without a reduced price. He said, they don't. I took a photo of the back with some of the masking still on that said Made in PENNSYLVANIA, USA, but Made in China on the same panel. He was stomped and said he knew nothing about it. He then checked other panels and they all said 'Made in China'.... in the fine print.

It's almost all made over there or in some lower Asian country. I guess the masking paper was made in America and the company is supposedly all American made stuff....... yeah, right. It's only sold in America.

aluminumwelder

This is not a buy usa thread don't respond if that is your position

I knew this was going to turn into a buy USA hijack.

Already placed my china order. If others want to save $10,000 a year on plastic then you can pm me and I'll tell you how easy it is.

I am just not surprised this topic has not even been discussed ONCE on this forum according to the search tool.

This thread is for people that are fine buying things from China, and want to discuss methods tips and tricks. if you are a buy USA only person, you can exit stage left.

Baz

It is kind of inevitable that you were going to get comments about "Made in USA" in regards to your topic.

I replied because i wanted the question posted. Would you be willing to spend more in order to save jobs.

My personnal answer on it is "No". I view this the same way all business should.
Buy from anywhere you can to save money.

All power to you!

klmjff

i'm pretty against buying china made materials. It undermines our economy. We are literally taking money away from ourselves by sending it to Asia. We spend $1000 on something from overseas, and we will never see that money again. If we spend $1500 on something made in the USA, it will eventually find its way back to us.

"MADE IN THE USA" means a lot to me.

So if you buy china made materials and you're able to significantly undercut your competition, you're going to force more jobs out of the country.

buy USA made products, please :)

Yeah, when it's 3-4 times more expensive??

Are you a stand up comic?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the same or not, but how many of you can produce a large array of signs.... from shocard, to channels, to box signs to truck lettering and so on ??

Always thought that our local municipalities would like to keep their money local..... or at least somewhat local. You know, we pay our local taxes and these same local politicians say they'll keep the money local. Turns out, they buy whatever they can via the internet. Our city buys from the lowest bidder from banners to street pole drapes. Even the ugly LED sign as you enter the city was bought on line. They get lotsa of their little stuff from overseas. Granted, 25 years ago, we were pretty much the 'GO-TO' shop for many of their needs, but since the internet has made the world so small, there is no loyalty or concern for quality..... just bottom line.

reQ

Not sure if this is the same or not, but how many of you can produce a large array of signs.... from shocard, to channels, to box signs to truck lettering and so on ??

Always thought that our local municipalities would like to keep their money local..... or at least somewhat local. You know, we pay our local taxes and these same local politicians say they'll keep the money local. Turns out, they buy whatever they can via the internet. Our city buys from the lowest bidder from banners to street pole drapes. Even the ugly LED sign as you enter the city was bought on line. They get lotsa of their little stuff from overseas. Granted, 25 years ago, we were pretty much the 'GO-TO' shop for many of their needs, but since the internet has made the world so small, there is no loyalty or concern for quality..... just bottom line.

I realized the same about our City also. Was stressing out about ti a lot, but not anymore.

^ Same here, Gino. For 20 years our chamber of commerce's slogan has been "Buy Local," and yet they always try to buy their electric and LED signage from an out of state shop that gives them a kickback and their other stuff online from the cheapest source.

fresh

Actually, Yes. Do you want proof? I've ordered pens that are 2x more expensive because they are made in the USA. I have them on my desk, and I've sold them multiple times to my customers who appreciate things made locally.

I won't order from silkcards.com because they are made in china. I don't even give my customers that option, and you know what, I've never lost a sale over price.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, then those same yahoos want you to put it up for next to nothing. Or they ask you questions on how their electrician can do it. Ah, excuse me, but if they get a permit to do this, they must prove they have the capability AND ability to do this. Find it out for yerself, cowboy..................

A long time ago, they hung a banner we made for them across the main bridge coming in from the west side of town. The bridge is heavily traveled and these same brainius morons put it up, but not high enough. Some over-sized tractor trailer's pipe caught it and bent the livin' sh!t out of one of the light standards. The banner never tore or ripped, it just pulled the standard over to an odd angle, before the driver stopped. See, they didn't think ahead to figure the tangent curvature of the bridge which made the middle [of the bridge] rise higher then where they mounted the cables.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmmm..............

Did you have to buy a container full? I'm curious about the logistics of purchasing from China.

:thankyou:

Perhaps, that's something which should be discussed in a category where lurkers and trolls can't go..... like a marketing or pricing section. That way, instead of PMs and no one being helped, all but the un-wannabees can participate. :clapping:

aluminumwelder

no did not need to order a whole container full because I dont' have that much money! lol. my order was 2 cubic meters and will cost about $800 to import into the usa. I will save about $6700 vs usa prices. plan to place another order in about six months

http://www.alandsplastic.com/En/Product/detail/id/82.html
they sell many items that sign makers use every day, pvc board, acrylic polycarbonate, corroboard, etc.
the only hard part is hiring a freight importer out of charleston.
each import costs about $800 in fees to get into the usa. luckily alands plastic gives you the price to the port of your choice.