• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

cameras, cellphones and pictures oh my!

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
This has happened 4 times in the past 2 days. I have noticed that I am getting relatively small digital photos as artwork

One customer said he was using a 7 megapixel camera to take photos of art but he was sending me 2 inch wide photos that were 180ppi. A quick look at a chart shows that a 7mb camera can take photos to 3072px x 2304px. His photo was 320x240. I could not work from the file sent to me

I get the feeling some people are not utilizing the full potential of their cameras.

So just a reminder, you may have to go into the camera settings. Pick a higher res photo. 7mb is not necessary but 2-4mp would be nice at the least. That way I can see artwork better

As a side note, most cell phones don't seem to take as good of a picture as digital cameras. Even though they claim to be 2-5mp, the size of the lens and some other technical reasons that I am not aware of makes these less than ideal. Most seem to be grainier than a good digital and focusing seems to be an issue, IMHO

WildWestDesigns

One customer said he was using a 7 megapixel camera to take photos of art but he was sending me 2 inch wide photos that were 180ppi. A quick look at a chart shows that a 7mb camera can take photos to 3072px x 2304px. His photo was 320x240. I could not work from the file sent to me

I get the feeling some people are not utilizing the full potential of their cameras.

Most aren't. Most aren't aware that there are even options within their camera to changet he settings. I think that the camera has the ability to take 7 that they are in fact using it to it's full potential.

I feel your pain. I get all kinds of picture sizes of various quality for digitizing that are such a joy to deal with.

TheSnowman

Even iPhone pictures? Cause that's pretty much what I send half the time anymore. Or just anything w/ a little lens?

MikePro

most cellphone cameras go to crap within a few months of people owning them, due to scratches on the lens from debris in their pockets/purses and/or dropping on the ground.

OldPaint

to get good pictures for any reproduction work, you need a GOOD DIGITAL CAMERA. cell phones are nothing more then small plastic lens, no f stop capability, and low resolution storage. my fuji takes great pics, 3072 x2304 is 1.50 MEGS of storage.they have a new camera..............http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s4000/ 14 megapixels, 30X zoom.............when wife and i where into photography prior to digital a 30X lens was thousands. we have a bunch of expensive(then)lens for YASHICA cameras. most of these are CARL ZIESS lenses. sorta useless now.

TheSnowman

I'm with Pat. My blackberry sucked...long as I clean my iPhone w/ a Q-Tip every couple months...it's taking awesome ones...at least so I thought.

Colin

Maybe he reduced it down from the original large file for email purposes, not knowing that it results in a crappy low-res file.

weaselboogie

As a side note, most cell phones don't seem to take as good of a picture as digital cameras. Even though they claim to be 2-5mp, the size of the lens and some other technical reasons that I am not aware of makes these less than ideal. Most seem to be grainier than a good digital and focusing seems to be an issue, IMHO

Agreed! This is a concept that a lot of people dont understand. It's all in the glass.

I have a super old 1.3 megapixel camera that took great pictures.... even better than many new 5+ megapixel cameras because the lens was larger and so much better.

I'm not talking resolution, but picture quality. Depth, light capture, etc. If you have a crappy lens on a 10+ megapixel camera, you have a high res crappy picture. Just because it's high res , doesn't mean that the picture quality will be better.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Agreed! This is a concept that a lot of people dont understand. It's all in the glass.

I have a super old 1.3 megapixel camera that took great pictures.... even better than many new 5+ megapixel cameras because the lens was larger and so much better.

I'm not talking resolution, but picture quality. Depth, light capture, etc. If you have a crappy lens on a 10+ megapixel camera, you have a high res crappy picture. Just because it's high res , doesn't mean that the picture quality will be better.

This is just because you are not using that CSI "Zoomify" app to pull the detail & enhance the final picture.

wayne k
guam usa

WildWestDesigns

A friend of my mom that does digital photography/painting said that the newer cameras have actually gotten worse even though their megapixal rating has gotten higher. She says it has to do the with how quickly the camera processes everything. She (and she said others) have noticed that the G11 has gone down in picture quality over the G9 and G10.

I kinda equate it like the HP wars that the Big 3 have been involved in with their light/medium duty trucks. Got to involved with upping the HP and skimping a little bit with everything else.

Colin

It also has a lot to do with the sensor size. The consumer level cameras have small sensors with large MegaPixel ratings which most people focus on (no pun intended).

binki

we have noticed that customers that send pics from phones or other devices, the device lowers the res of the pic to speed up sending and reduce the cost of the send. they should check the device to make sure that is not happening.

also, if they save the file as 'save for web' or something like that it will downgrade the pic.

jiarby

most cell phones don't seem to take as good of a picture as digital cameras

It's the lenses... sometimes they get schmutzed up with scratched & ear grease. on some the case covers the lens (like on my HTC Touch Pro 2) and that gets dirty or scratched up.

Attachments

• lens-coveron2.jpg
    lens-coveron2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 64
  • lens-coveroff.jpg
    lens-coveroff.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 62

jiarby

I took 3 photos...
One with my Nikon D60, set to "fine" (produces a 3872*2592 file, 3.82mb)
One with my 3.2mpx HTC TP2 (back bezel cover on) (produces a 2048*1016 file, 600kb)
One with my 3.2mpx HTC TP2 (back bezel cover off)

Then i did snagit screenshots of each.

see if you can tell which is which...

Attachments

• coveron.jpg
    coveron.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 75
  • coveroff.jpg
    coveroff.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 79
  • D60.jpg
    D60.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 65

jiarby

you must have cheated ane read the file names!

Of course! It is easy to tell! Big difference between cover on and cover off.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
yeah so far I have not seen any camera phones that compare to an equivalent MP digital camera

The phone companies keep throwing these MP numbers up for selling purposes but it is deceiving. I have a 3gs iphone, love the phone, camera sux

jiarby

remember the big dustup when the first droid came out?? the cameras didn't work right because the firmware was bad... it took blurry pictures.