• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can a Laminator be used to apply transfer tape to weeded vinyl signage?

brunnnner

I can aquire a 27 laminator, power driven, do you think I can figure a way to load transfer tape, and use the machine to premask. The seller is willing to give me two weeks to fidget with it.

My main goal is to be able to premask with some very thin, strechy, plastic premask (transfer film), which has a tendancy to bunch, stretch, pucker with hand squeegeing. And a laminator may be the answer.

Any Ideas, or suggestions?

2B

if you have 2 weeks to fidget with it, there is your answer. get it and start testing.

allamericantrade

you shouldn't have any issue premasking with the lam. i would leave it set up at all times and have a piece of vinle to run through inbetween premask jobs. the trick is not to let the premask adhesive to contact the rollers themselves and there won't be an issue. on another note have you looked into the big squeegee? I just ordered mine after seeing the demo.

MikePro

do it, and you'll regret not having a bigger laminator!
i use my 54" to apply full sheets of print to 4x8 coroplast (and MDO, occasionally)

I use my lam all the time for ap tape. I did over 200 linear ft in about 20 minutes with no problems. Just have to make sure its lined up straight and when you change from 1 set of vinyl to the next make sure the tape does not get stuck to roller.

Baz

Same here ... I have a RSC 1400C and i do run 48" premask over computer cut vinyl graphics. Either printed/laminated/cut or straight cut vinyl. Works great but for me i have to keep the tension on with my hands especially when going over empty areas. It keeps everything stable with no wrinkles forming.

eforer

You sure can, I would recommend investing in a really good laminator though. When I started my business 8 years ago, I bought a cheap Chinese knock off of a SEAL. It was awful, and you couldn't do much more than 8/9 feet without an issue. Bought a GBC Orca 6 months later and never looked back. You can laminate more or less unattended at a shockingly high speed with no F-ups.

Rooster

I use the same pre-mask and have found that an easier way of application is to roll it out on the table upside down (adhesive side up) and then unroll the weeded vinyl across the transfer tape once it's been laid out nice and flat.

You might be stretching it when you're pulling it out which is causing the bunching and ripples.

Getting the tape down nice and flat and letting it sit for a second while you're rolling up the vinyl is all it takes to get rid of the bunching.

This method also works great for pre-masking on site where it might be a little dirty. Weeded and masked vinyl never seems to roll up nicely for me. If I'm doing multiple 4x8 or larger panels it's much easier to mask it at the install site so long as there's some level ground to roll out the pre-mask.

graphix45

I can aquire a 27 laminator, power driven, do you think I can figure a way to load transfer tape, and use the machine to premask. The seller is willing to give me two weeks to fidget with it.

My main goal is to be able to premask with some very thin, strechy, plastic premask (transfer film), which has a tendancy to bunch, stretch, pucker with hand squeegeing. And a laminator may be the answer.

Any Ideas, or suggestions?
Just curious... Where are you buying the transfer film? Is this the same kinda stuff General Motors uses on their graphics?(new Camaro stripes).I have asked suppliers before for something like this and no one seems to know anything about it.

signgirl

Use the laminator for this all the time! I think of all the times papering long runs by hand...arg! One draw back is getting static shocks from it time to time