• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can a landlord make you use their sign company even if you do signs?

Desert_Signs

We have a contract with an office management company that owns 4 separate buildings. The tenants are required (in their lease) to use our signs. However, they don't buy from us - we have no actual contact with the tenants. It's part of the lease and the tenant pays the management company. We create and install the sign. It keeps it consistent and in the end it's cheaper for the management company and the tenant.

Marlene

what kind of sign will be going up? individual letters either channel or non-illuminated? lighted cabinet? sandblasted or carved? it may be as simple as them wanting all the signs to have the same reversed radius corners as all the others (have had that come up) or thickness of wood or not drilling too many studs in the fascia or maybe their sign guy patches and paints. find out the whys. every other tenant would have no issue with the requirement but asking a sign maker to hang another sign shop's work outside their business seems like something the landlord would get. it may be for simple reasons or it may be his cousin or brother who is the other shop.

Firefox

Who knows if it is or is not legal in your jurisdiction, ask an attorney.

But, why would you ever enter into a contract that you do not intend to abide by?

I assume that the lease agreement specifies that you must use the landlords sign company so he can maintain uniformity standards on his/her property. I don't have a problem with that after all he owns the building and can set the standards as far as I am concerned.

It is up to you to NOT enter into an agreement you can not or will not live with!

If you didn't read the contract... Tough... live with it! That is after you try Gino's approach.

signage

I know where I live this is done a quite afew strip malls. In some of the areas these malls also have grandfathered sign codes. Now by them having this grandfathered code aggreements the property managements engineer has to sign and stamp all sign drawings before a sign permit will be issued by the local authority!

And like was said above if you did not like this why did you agree to lease their!