• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can I use a plotter other than Gerber to cut my Edge prints?

Tom

I have a classic Edge and a HS15 plus plotter, but the plotter is acting up and I think it's done. I am running Omega software. I'm looking into a new Graphtec plotter, but can't find anyone that is cutting their Edge prints with anything but a Gerber plotter. I really don't want to buy a new or used Gerber plotter. Their customer service is awful. Is anyone out there cutting Edge prints with another brand Plotter?

GB2

Old Member
If you are only printing with the Edge and plotting Edge prints or 15" rolls of vinyl then there is no better plotter to use than a Gerber plotter. As you know it is a system designed to be used together and actually works exceptionally well. Also the Gerber plotters on their own are excellent plotters. Now, if you are doing other things or you plan on growing beyond Edge prints and 15" rolls of vinyl, then you can consider another plotting option and yes, it is possible to cut Edge prints on other plotters. You would just have to learn how to print whatever is needed for the other plotter as it wouldn't be using the Gerber marks but you would have to print registration marks that would work for the new plotter or whatever other software you would be using to cut with.

danno

We have used our Summa and our Zund to cut our edge prints. We do have to put the corresponding marks on the print for the plotters to read the cut.

Joe House

You've been able to cut Edge prints from Omega for some time now using a Graphtec plotter. I think a Gerber 15" plotter would be better, but it is more expensive. When Graphtec was making Gerber's friction fed plotters, Gerber started to incorporate the Graphtec cutting marks into their system.

Jburns

I have cut gerber prints with a graphtec using flexi. it was a PITA to get the graphtec calibrated so it cut the prints property, (see my other posts) but it can be done.
HOWEVER - you must note that the print width is reduced to about 9.5 inches, because the graphtec marks encroach on the print ( type 1 and 2).

Best to run the gerber plotter -maximum print width and zero alignment issues. Your HS15 is probably 15 plus years old - so you got a good run. (I will be selling my GS15 Plus in the near future, I have the envision).

Alex P

Your best bet is to use the Gerber plotter, they might be slow but work as they should and will give you very little problems. It might be cheaper to repair your gerber plotter as they are really basic mechanically.

RG

I have done this several times using a Graphtec FC7000 and FlexiSign. You can even get the full 11.8" if you choose to use the 4 point registration marks and laser instead of the auto registration mark reading function of the Graphtec. I don't think that Omega has drivers for a Graphtec. An older version of Flexi might be less expensive than another plotter.

xkellyx

A lot of our Gerber prints are one color on clear (gold, white, etc). I print on the Edge, with Graphtec marks. I have sheets of pre-printed black on clear graphtech marks that I carefully place over the white/gold marks then I cut. Works great. I am not a fan of my GSX plus and really prefer the Graphtec. We have been using flexi cloud.

artofacks1

I have done this several times using a Graphtec FC7000 and FlexiSign. You can even get the full 11.8" if you choose to use the 4 point registration marks and laser instead of the auto registration mark reading function of the Graphtec. I don't think that Omega has drivers for a Graphtec. An older version of Flexi might be less expensive than another plotter.
Can you please elaborate on how to do this?

Bill Modzel

You might check out The Plotter Doctor. He repairs them and I think that he also sells used ones.

Chimuka

If one were to print (4) .119 inch squares spaced from the 4 corners of your print. This in my case is accomplished in Flexi Sign with step and repeat . Then create a contour cut file including the 4 corner squares.
In my case I use a Summa Cutter with the opos eye system. Then I use a cutting program called Summa Winplot, which is free from the Airmark site. It can automatically find the corner squares as it's registration marks.

Attachments

• Top Notch 2.jpg
    Top Notch 2.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Top Notch 1.jpg
    Top Notch 1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 170

RG

Can you please elaborate on how to do this?
It's fairly simple. Your plotter has to have contour cutting capability. Send the file to Production Manager. For your cutter choose Graphtec. For the type of registration marks choose 4-point (bomb sight). Print the file. The bomb sights will be at the 4 corners of your print. Put the print in the plotter and hit send. You will be prompted to put the laser pointer in the center of the 1st registration mark and I think then you press the enter button on your monitor screen. You are prompted to move to mark #2, #3, and #4 doing the same thing. When you are finished, the plotter will do the contour cut. Accuracy depends on how well you line up the laser with the center of the bomb sight. Good luck.