• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can someone please walk me through: subtank refill

0igo

Yesterday my printer started saying subtank refill, I looked online for a solution and found a forum with this same problem happening to someone else. A tech told him to syringe the ink through, my question is how do I remove it and syringe it through?

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,634
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 831

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Subtank refill is a natural occurrence and isn't a problem unless it gets stuck on that screen. Every once in a while the machine needs to refill the tank when it gets too low. If something fails it generally gives you a subtank error. Turn the machine on and allow the machine to fill the subtank naturally for about 10 - 15 minutes. If it is still filling after 15 minutes, you most likely have a clog in the valve or it is malfunctioning. If you are using a bulk system and it is failing to supply ink properly, that will cause the issue as well.

0igo

Subtank refill is a natural occurrence and isn't a problem unless it gets stuck on that screen. Every once in a while the machine needs to refill the tank when it gets too low. If something fails it generally gives you a subtank error. Turn the machine on and allow the machine to fill the subtank naturally for about 10 - 15 minutes. If it is still filling after 15 minutes, you most likely have a clog in the valve or it is malfunctioning. If you are using a bulk system and it is failing to supply ink properly, that will cause the issue as well.

Yeah it'll get stuck on that screen and then I get an error. If you look at the pic both the yellow and magenta have air in the lines. How can I remove the hose and syringe ink through it? Is there a video anywhere?

0igo

Update tried syringing the ink through the lines, then doing a "little charge" from the menu but it gets stuck at 98%. Then if I try to print itll say subtank refill and eventually give me an error E178Err SubtankHi M. Can anyone please help me out I'm stuck and don't know what is going on

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
From what I can see in the pictures you have a lot of ink in the area of the sub tank that shouldn't be there. If the sub tanks are not filling my guess would be that your sub tank valves are stuck closed. What model is the machine and what firmware does it have, also how old is it?

dbydprint

From what I can see in the pictures you have a lot of ink in the area of the sub tank that shouldn't be there. If the sub tanks are not filling my guess would be that your sub tank valves are stuck closed. What model is the machine and what firmware does it have, also how old is it?
I have the same error on the 1604 / just stops at 98%?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have the same error on the 1604 / just stops at 98%?
The machine doesn't actually know what percentage of it is full. It just guesses and when the high sensor trips, it goes to 100%. Since yours is stalling at 98% my best guess would be a clogged valve, bad high sensor, or even the cartridge being empty and not flagging the machine properly so there is no ink to fill it in the first place.

heyskull

I would check their is ink flowing through the ink tank solenoids.
As the lines at the top are from the ink cartridges and the lower ones are into the subtanks (you can see the subtanks behind).
I have changed my solenoids twice in the 14.5 years I have had my VJ1604.
I managed to clean them through the last time I had an issue.

SC