• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can you clean Foamcore?

Zach1648

I am an experienced sign maker and digital printer and I have never had to clean foamcore before but my recent foamcore deliveries have been pretty bad in terms of cleanliness. Here are the facts:
  • UV Flatbed Printing (Oce' Arizone 365 CMYK)
  • ALWAYS wearing Nitrile Gloves and nevver touch printable area
  • ONLY holding the material by the edges.
  • Foamcore is already dirty where the delivery driver has handled it.
Results: Finger prints in the print.

From the time I receive the material to the time I print I where gloves to handle the formacore. I have been wasting a lot of material lately and have called my supplier (and other suppliers) and their only recommendation is to buy a case to avoid finger prints. Obviously, whomever is pulling inventory for my orders is clearly not wearing gloves, or at least gloves that aren't clean.

I was thinking of trying something that vaporizes quickly, like denatured alcohol or acetone, but I am afraid of damaging the foamcore. Looking to see anyone has found a way of cleaning foamcore for UV printing.

Bly

Wear cotton gloves not nitrile.
Buy in packs only.
You can't clean it really as dirt gets ingrained into the paper face.

Andy D

Are the fingerprints visible before you print, or do they show up in the ink (assuming you are UV printing)?
If it's invisible fingerprints that show up once you print, I would take a rag that
is just barely (very barely) damp with a degreaser & try cleaning in swirling motions.
Many vendors won't sell foam-board out of a case, if you insist on buying a couple of sheets at a time,
there are foam-boards that have different outer shells, other than just paper.

Johnny Best

Is it the natural paper finish or the white clay coat finish you are having problems with, Is it Gatorboard or another brand with a plastic top like styrine. And yes buy a carton so the guys in the warehouse won't have to wear gloves.

Sindex Printing

I have had some luck using 99% alchohol and a webril cotton pads with light pressure and just damp. Staicide has also worked. I have had much luck if the foam core had a lot of grime on it

I thought I would revive this post to add an answer for people looking for a way to clean paper faced substrates such as foam/gator board. Two things work quite well, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser(Melamine foam) and fine grit sandpaper. No special technique. Just use as normal. I have saved countless sheets that would have been otherwise unusable. You will need to brush it off really well before printing. Hope this helps someone.

Rohit Prasad

WWW.COMPASSCOLOR.COM
I would suggest buying foamcore in bulk/25 sheets per case. It comes from the factory nice and clean…if you’re buying a few sheets here and there you will always have fingerprint issues or random markers showing up on prints.