• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can you identify these 3M Vinyls?

whatsinaname

I have got two samples of some decals purchased online. They are 3M but unable to identify them. They are printed and laminated.

Vinyl 1 : 0.25 to 0.27mm thickness including Matte Laminate. Adhesive side is Black. Liner 3M Controltac Graphic Marking System.
Vinyl 2 : 0.24 to 0.25mm thickness including Matte Laminate. Adhesive side is Light Grey. Liner 3M Controltac Graphic Marking System.

Need help in identifying exactly which series are these 3M Vinyls.

Vinyl_1_Adhesive.JPEG Vinyl_1_Liner.JPEG Vinyl_2_Liner.JPEG Vinyl_2_Adhesive.JPEG

Attachments

• Vinyl_1_Liner.JPEG
    Vinyl_1_Liner.JPEG
    48.6 KB · Views: 208

2B

go to the website purchased from and see what they have listed for the specs

we do not carry 3M, so I'm not an expert who can look at the adhesive color or air channel patterns

jfiscus

Rap Master
Photo of the gray adhesive isn't the best, but many of the adhesives look the same, so you can't really tell them apart by sight since there are SO many of them.
I've never seen black adhesive before and we use a decent amount of 3M.
I'd just call up whoever you bought them from and get the correct answer.

Patentagosse

I think IJ180mC-10, IJ180LSE and IJ180SLS are all looking exactly the same... adhesive pattern, adhesive color and thickness... so maybe few other lines like IJ175 are also looking exactly the same so your question will not lead to any precise answer since it's just a matter of bonding and slideability. The black one "might" be a film with blackout adhesive but I don't know the name of this film (Avery have one too)

Maybe

3M™ Blockout Film 3635-20b​

whatsinaname

go to the website purchased from and see what they have listed for the specs

we do not carry 3M, so I'm not an expert who can look at the adhesive color or air channel patterns
These are used as decals for mobiles etc. Even called skins. The ones which I ordered are also from an online decals/sticker store and they haven't mentioned anything about the specs or brand used.

ikarasu

So you just bought some decals from an online store and you're looking for what material they were made out of?

I see you're from HK - Are these decals from HK? The backer looks a bit off to me... 3M ink isn't that raised / intense of a color.

Vinyl 2 looks legit - See the difference in color and how it's like a pad / offset print? And see the Little Crosshairs.... The Crosshair angles stick out further than the big crosshair, on your Adhesive 1... theyre smaller than the crosshair. Maybe 3M changed something in their offset printing, but It just looks off to me... I've never seen a Black backed 3M Adhesive either.

Adhesive 1 - Probably IJ40 or IJ180. Adhesive 2 - Likelly a knockoff 3M vinyl... We use 100's upon 100's of different 3M Skus, and I've never seen a black adhesive before - A black vinyl with clear Adhesive, yes... but never a black adhesive. But they have thousands of skus, so I could be wrong.

Johnny Best

What are you going to do after you identify the vinyls if they are not what you thought they were?
Buying something like that online is always a gamble unless it is someplace like StickerMule or Signs365.
You live in Hong Kong, the truth was taken away from you not to lo long ago.

whatsinaname

So you just bought some decals from an online store and you're looking for what material they were made out of?

I see you're from HK - Are these decals from HK? The backer looks a bit off to me... 3M ink isn't that raised / intense of a color.

Vinyl 2 looks legit - See the difference in color and how it's like a pad / offset print? And see the Little Crosshairs.... The Crosshair angles stick out further than the big crosshair, on your Adhesive 1... theyre smaller than the crosshair. Maybe 3M changed something in their offset printing, but It just looks off to me... I've never seen a Black backed 3M Adhesive either.

Adhesive 1 - Probably IJ40 or IJ180. Adhesive 2 - Likelly a knockoff 3M vinyl... We use 100's upon 100's of different 3M Skus, and I've never seen a black adhesive before - A black vinyl with clear Adhesive, yes... but never a black adhesive. But they have thousands of skus, so I could be wrong.

Thnx. I ordered them from a Canadian wrap store. The Vinyls are geniune 3M.

Sorry, my bad. I should have been more clear. The adhesive is actually clear but the back side of the vinyl is black. 3M does have Black backing films. For ex, the 1080 and 2080 series have the same color backing as the actual color on top of the vinyl. If you take a Matte black in 2080 series, it would be black on the back. But those are marked 2080 or 1080 series on the backing.

whatsinaname

Photo of the gray adhesive isn't the best, but many of the adhesives look the same, so you can't really tell them apart by sight since there are SO many of them.
I've never seen black adhesive before and we use a decent amount of 3M.
I'd just call up whoever you bought them from and get the correct answer.

Thnx. I ordered them from a Canadian wrap store.

The adhesive is actually clear but the back side (the adhesive side) of the vinyl is black in color (Vinyl 1). I hope that makes sense. I have attached a more clear picture of the Grey adhesive side.

1658935669460.JPEG

whatsinaname

I think IJ180mC-10, IJ180LSE and IJ180SLS are all looking exactly the same... adhesive pattern, adhesive color and thickness... so maybe few other lines like IJ175 are also looking exactly the same so your question will not lead to any precise answer since it's just a matter of bonding and slideability. The black one "might" be a film with blackout adhesive but I don't know the name of this film (Avery have one too)

Maybe

3M™ Blockout Film 3635-20b​

Thnx. The adhesive is actually clear but the back side (the adhesive side) of the vinyl is black in color (Vinyl 1). For Vinyl 2, I have attached a more clear picture of the Grey adhesive side in the above post.

Did check IJ180mC and even applied the 3M satin overlaminate but the thickness is not the same as these above 2 vinyls.

ikarasu

Thnx. I ordered them from a Canadian wrap store.

The adhesive is actually clear but the back side (the adhesive side) of the vinyl is black in color (Vinyl 1). I hope that makes sense. I have attached a more clear picture of the Grey adhesive side.

View attachment 160653
The adhesive is clear, not black. So on a pink vinyl... The back will be pink. It shouldn't be black - that indicates the adhesive is black, not the back side of the vinyl...

Do you have a link for the product you bought? Might be able to decipher what it is from there.

whatsinaname

The adhesive is clear, not black. So on a pink vinyl... The back will be pink. It shouldn't be black - that indicates the adhesive is black, not the back side of the vinyl...

Do you have a link for the product you bought? Might be able to decipher what it is from there.
The pink is a printed color, not the original vinyl color. The original vinyl color is white on which the solid pink color is printed and then matte laminated. They have various other colors printed and sold as wraps like these.

ikarasu

I'm insulted... They're Australian, not canadian!

I'd say they're using ij40 at those prices.

The black adhesive side... I'm still stumped on that. The only time I've seen 3m vinyl look like they is if it's a black vinyl.... I don't think 3m has a printable vinyl with a black adhesive side.