• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

can you laminate a scrim banner?

gabagoo

I have never tried this and wonder if the laminate would lay down ok and hold, or will it slowly release and get a bubbled look. anyone ever try?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Why would you want to?
Roll a little Clear-Star liquid lam on it "for an addition price" if needed.

I have never tried this and wonder if the laminate would lay down ok and hold, or will it slowly release and get a bubbled look. anyone ever try?

You would never laminate scrim banner using film laminate, due to the non-flat nature of the media...liquid lam is possible though.

gabagoo

yes it is what I thought. I have liquid lams here but I am not going to do it for this banner as the time and drying issues will not make any sense.

Sticky Signs

Is it possible? Yes. I know from experience. Do you want to do it with regular lam? NO. Liquid lam or roll on or spray on will do the trick. But really, why do you need to lam a banner?
Years ago I had to lam a bunch of banners that where printed on gloss. They where being used in a tennis tournament that was being televised. Gloss media, lights and cameras don't play well together. Too much glare from the lights create flashes on camera. It was one of those weird jobs that comes in every now and then. Anyhoo, the matt lam worked great but I'm not sure how long it lasted on the banners after they left the shop.

CanuckSigns

I laminate printed banners that have changable elements on them, we have 1 customer who has a craft show every year, we printed all the permanant info on the banner and laminated it, all the changable stuff (dates, location) gets done with Oracal 351 vinyl. The laminate just gives the ink a bit more toughness when it comes time to peel off the vinyl.

jiarby

I have used spray on clear shield a couple times but generally think that a solvent printed banner does not need any lam at all.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I've laminated scrim banner before. Runs the risk of it coming up in a tunneling sort of way ... but it should be ok for short term banners.