• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you use transfer tape in a laser?

amw

Longtime Members
My son (13) saved up to buy a small laser (omtech polar). He showed me some things he wants to get for it and one of those is "laser mask". Which looks a lot like transfer tape from the pictures/videos i have seen.
I have no problem buying him the right stuff to use, just figured i would ask if it is basically the same stuff? or if there is any reason you couldn't just use transfer tape?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

weyandsign

I use regular transfer tape, and it works perfectly fine. Didn't know they made a special laser tape until now. I have no idea about the safety of using regular tape vs the special laser tape though, so use your best judgement. I think the most important part of using a laser is proper ventilation. Especially if you do plastics, it smells horrible and you must have a good system to suck the fumes away.

Gene@mpls

I use it all the time [ since 2015 ] and it works fine. You should be proud of your son- he can learn a lot with a laser- also 3D printer. Gene

ikarasu

Transfer tape is fine - vinyl is not.

You're not supposed to laser vinyl because of the PVC in it, it releases chlorine gas - the glue is perfectly fine, and transfer tape is paper so you're ok.

Id stay away from the clear transfer tape just because I'm not sure if it has PVC... But your regular run of the mill paper transfer tape is fine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2B

Rmurray321

You shouldn’t need transfer tape on most items, unless you’re paint filling. If you find yourself burning things and getting char, upgrade the air assist. The little fish pump they include with those units aren’t worth a shit.

There are some laser masks like blaze orange that are made to be lasered and overlayed onto glass for a sandblast finish.