• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canned Air...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
When I install interior stud-mounted letters I use a cordless DeWalt vac to clean dust and debris from the holes before installing the letters. But when installing outside, I use canned air to clean the holes as well as dust from the letters, the surrounding wall, etc. Works great, but stinks buying canned air all the time. I came across this video on YouTube and thought it was a pretty great solution. I carry all of the Craftsman Nextec 12v tools on my truck as backup pieces. Among those tools, I have the Nextec inflator which will work great at recharging cans while on-site. Hopefully the JB Weld does its job...I'm going to give it a shot.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Those work nice for tiny jobs, but not so much for cleaning masonry dust off a wall and fixtures and/or cleaning out a large number of holes.

tanner707

We use the WD-40 Turbo Air. Been using it for years (the same one) I think I got 2 for $19.95 or so.
Rechargeable and has two attachments. I am sure it will be exactly what you are looking for. Everyone is always amazed at the power of it. Hope this helps
Some Specs:
SPECIFICATIONS: Voltage Rating - Tool: 9.6V; Voltage Rating - Charger: Input 120 VAC 60 Hertz, Output 10VAC +/- 5% @ 300 mA; Normal Operating Speed - Motor: 29,398 RPM; Operating Current: 4.7Amp; Initial Charge Time: 24 Hours; Re-Charge Time: 14 Hours; Maximum Sound Level: <90 dB. IN THE BOX: Turbo Air Rechargeable Blower System, Nozzle, Brush, Charging Base, AC Adapter.
Those work nice for tiny jobs, but not so much for cleaning masonry dust off a wall and fixtures and/or cleaning out a large number of holes.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thank you for posting the info. I saw that on Amazon a while back, but the reviews were so bad, I'll stick with the canned air. Multiple people said it doesn't put out the kind of pressure that canned air does which is a necessity. They said it's even worse when you use the attachment that focuses the air.

tsgstl

Fireplace bellows work well and they aren't as bulky as you would think. They are made to hang on racks. I know it sounds rediculous

Mosh

I just hold my drill up and let the air from the exhaust on the side blow them out. If I have too much dust I blow it off with air (I have a gas powered compressor on my truck) only do that one in ten times though...

Z SIGNS

Pretty cool.I want to go out in the shop tomorrow and make one !
Reminds me of a rig I had years ago.An old propane tank rigged up for airbrushing.
Who blows the dust out anyhow ?
Makes to much mess for me

Moze

Precision Sign Services
This little experiment failed miserably, by the way. I'm not sure how the cans are filled at the factory, but I wasn't able to fill it with more than enough for a couple of blasts. Oh well, back to Fry's for some more.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Pretty cool.I want to go out in the shop tomorrow and make one !
Reminds me of a rig I had years ago.An old propane tank rigged up for airbrushing.
Who blows the dust out anyhow ?
Makes to much mess for me

Not blowing the holes out weakens the bond of the silicone. The silicone has a layer of dust around it rather than adhering directly to the material you drilled into. I'm assuming you know that and are joking though...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks like a nice product for sure. For large jobs though, the canned air is hard to beat. Cleaning out 100 holes or more as well as dust from the wall itself is fairly quick with canned air due to the force of the air. That'd be a lot of squeezing with a bulb...!

The photo below is an install I did last week and as you can imagine, there was dust in the holes as well as on the stone and even on the light fixtures. Canned air made fairly short work of it. I just thought being able to refill them would be a nifty trick.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 120

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I can't believe something on the internet was WRONG, but apparently the method shown in the video is useless due to the cans originally being filled with a gas called tetrafluroethane which explains how so much air comes out of such a small can.

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you don't mind something less portable get a small propane tank or a surplus soda transfer tank. Set it up with a hose/trigger & your schrader valve.
You'll have air for the day. We use these at the race track and the soda set up to pressurize the cleaning/slip fluid for commercial window tinting.
Most likely Harbor Freight or Home Depot has something similar for sale.

wayne k
guam usa

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I buy it by the case to use around the shop from http://www.blowoff.com/electronics/canned_air.htm but the price on there website is high. I think I pay under $3.00 a can so order over the phone.

Thanks for the link. I usually stock up at Fry's - they have three cans for like $9 or some such thing.

If you don't mind something less portable get a small propane tank or a surplus soda transfer tank. Set it up with a hose/trigger & your schrader valve.
You'll have air for the day. We use these at the race track and the soda set up to pressurize the cleaning/slip fluid for commercial window tinting.
Most likely Harbor Freight or Home Depot has something similar for sale.

wayne k
guam usa

I was just looking at portable air tanks on Amazon. I think I may go with one of those and a telescoping blow gun.

Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited: