• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cannot import .ai files

Jen Goodwin

I recently installed Omega 2.0, I am trying to import a graphic from Flexi as an illustrator file and I keep getting 'error 0x80004005 code 0x0012f79c' and I cannot import it. Sometimes it acts like it is going to import it, but it hangs up with the percentage bar at 0% hanging at the bottom and imports nothing. I can pick through all my files and import some and not others and I do not know why. I even saved it down versions....what am I missing? Is this some setting in Omega 2.0 having to do with importing Illustrator files?
I'm having a bad day! Maybe that's it. :rolleyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First thing I'd want to know is:

Is this really an Illustrator AI file? If it is, then what version is it? If it isn't an Illustrator file then Omega will not find what it expects when it tries to open it.

The quickest way to find out is to attempt to open it with Illustrator or CorelDraw. If neither application is available, then open it in Wordpad using the All Documents (*.*) setting under Files of Type. It should have a header that starts out reading similar to this:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0

%%Creator: Adobe Illustrator(TM) 6.0 Export From Flexi 6.5

%%For: (WEISSHOMEPC) ()

%%Title: (Bluebird.ai)

%%CreationDate: (07/05/2004) (20:38:28)

If it is an AI file then the next step is to open any other AI file that you know to be good. You should, of course, be using the AI Import Filter that is at the top of the filter list and called AI - (GSP) Adobe Illustrator File (AI). Do not use the filter at the bottom of the list and do not use the All Files setting.

Depending on the results, you will be able to isolate whether the problem is with Omega or with the file you are attempting to open. If the problem is with Omega, then I would do a reinstall of that application.

Jen Goodwin

THANKS FRED!!
:biggrin: First of all, after a REALLY bad day, Thanks for making me laugh with the inquiring minds want to know post! I needed that more than anything.
The graphic I was attempting to print was the hot dog and ice cream graphic from the sign I posted in Geb's post "DOT Regulations". I had done this first by importing it from a Flexi file, to Omega 1.56 at work. I exported as an .ai file, imported into Omega 1.56 and had no problems. Printed CMYK and cut the cutline myself.
Now I have the Edge here (Goodwin Glass & Graphics) and attempted the repeat order because of color and the town having it's own regulations; and tried to export from Flexi as an illustrator file and kept getting this error message; and it was driving me insane. Then I attempted to send it as a jpeg through Photoshop (which didn't retain the color info) and still give it the cutline from Flexi that I attempted to weld together; so I had a cutline and then I had to hit the 'seperate effect' button to make Flexi see it as 'one.' Then Omega would import it no problem. I just had to seperate this graphic and it worked without a hitch. I just wonder why it was a problem with Omega 2.0 and didn't seem to be a problem with 1.56??? Did I explain that or did I confuse more...???

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi_pic_sm.gif

You just confused me more.:thankyou:

Jen Goodwin

I am really good at that; confusing others that is!! :biggrin:
What it boils down to is that the ice cream and the hot dog had some combined objects or outlining; who knows it was clipart. I uncombined the whole thing, removed pieces of the ice cream cone that were behind the hot dog, welded what I needed to, made sure everything was ungrouped & uncombined, exported as an .ai file, imported into Omega and it worked fine.

Gene@mpls

Jen- you might want to try the .gad (gerber art definition) export filter from Flexi to
Omega. Works well for me. Gene

Jen Goodwin

Thanks Gene, I'll try that. I have never been able to make it work in the past, but now with Omega 2 - maybe I'll have a better shot. :biggrin:

Jen Goodwin

I had this same problem again. Just thought that I would let you know, Fred, that once again...you were right.
I just got lucky last time...had nothing to do with the combined objects and all that other babble - It was defaulting to the (GSP) adobe illustrator file (ai) import filter and just by chance I must have clicked on the right one further down in the list.
After having the problem again yesterday...and getting very frustrated, I came back here and read through this again and low and behold - voila! File opened.

THANKS FRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb: