• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Canon Colorado 1650 Trouble Printing Fabric

Squared2002

So w have a new Canon Colorado 1650 roll to roll printer. Up til now has worked fairly well. We are just now trying for the 1st time to direct print to Fabric. This was 1 of the selling points for the printer from Canon. We have loaded the most current Canon Profile and are able to get the Fabric loaded. However when we go to print and the Printer advances the Fabric at the start and it wrinkles up? The take up roll has the tension bar on like they said but to me it seams like maybe the take up roll should be turning the whole time so as to not let the fabric get any slack? What are we missing?? Thanks in advance..

Attachments

• IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 328

Montrealer

Senior Operator
So w have a new Canon Colorado 1650 roll to roll printer. Up til now has worked fairly well. We are just now trying for the 1st time to direct print to Fabric. This was 1 of the selling points for the printer from Canon. We have loaded the most current Canon Profile and are able to get the Fabric loaded. However when we go to print and the Printer advances the Fabric at the start and it wrinkles up? The take up roll has the tension bar on like they said but to me it seams like maybe the take up roll should be turning the whole time so as to not let the fabric get any slack? What are we missing?? Thanks in advance..
Its probably your tension values settings, you can spend alot time before you get the right formula. we using Onyx and you had to set it, in a quickset profile, its probably the same with Caldera. Did you clean the optical sensor for the media detection? But frankly if you bet on this printer to do any kind of canvas or textile, its not the good printer for those type of media, it can help you to do time to time project, but thats it...its more design for paper.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I have some friends looking for a new printer but they can't get ink cost on Canon Oce Colorado.
My friends just need the truth on how much a liter of Canon ink is for this printer.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I have some friends looking for a new printer but they can't get ink cost on Canon Oce Colorado.
My friends just need the truth on how much a liter of Canon ink is for this printer.
A quick search will find you the answer.
and it also differs per shop depending on how they use it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Differs per shop is ridiculous corporate copier pricing. They’re marketing as inexpensive if you’re running around the clock.
A quick search will find you the answer

Our ink usage vs other peoples are different.
Some will print full coverage prints like we do
Others gave 50% coverage or less. Dependinging on the shop.
and depending on your icc profiles.

frankzilla

Get an Epson R5070 and ink costs will be as low as $0.15 - $0.13/ ml to print with. There's your low ink cost, works on fabric. Uses an optimizer base and water based resin inks for printing. No smells, half the price of a Colorado, and inks are likely as well. Buy 2 and double your speed vs 1 Colorado.

:cool:

KEYSER SOZE

Get an Epson R5070 and ink costs will be as low as $0.15 - $0.13/ ml to print with. There's your low ink cost, works on fabric. Uses an optimizer base and water based resin inks for printing. No smells, half the price of a Colorado, and inks are likely as well. Buy 2 and double your speed vs 1 Colorado.

:cool:
We print a stack of fabric on the Colorado - works great, really tough.
I suspect Squared has the tension bar in the "locked" position, needs to be unlocked so the bar can fall and pull on the fabric.

Regarding ink price, it's $240/litre (Australian), but it's not as relevant as how much it costs you in ink to print/clean/maintain over a year.
The Colorado makes ink usage is very simple to calculate.
In the menus it tells you how many m2 you've printed and how many 1 litre bottles you've put in it.
Printing all sorts of stuff over the last 3 years with lots of ink coverage, I've calculated it at 10,000m2 / 20,000m2 / and 30,000m2.

It's $1.68m2 (.18c/f2) in Australian dollars.
In US dollars that's about 13c/f2.
Very cheap.

We looked at the Epson Resin as a backup, it's certainly an improvement mechanically over the HP Latex.
The colours however are no improvement on latex (bit dull) and high quality printing is way slower than a Colorado, ink is easy to scratch and laminate doesn't stick that well to heavy ink coverage.
Epson's solvent printers are a better bet I think.

victor bogdanov

I had a bit of similar bunching (on some materials) when my printer was new and I would pull then media at the start of printing to prevent the bunching. Grab the media on either side and pull down hard as the printer does the first push.

Over time the problem disappeared as the platen got slicker I guess. Make sure the platen is clean, read the following thread, has tips on making the platen slick, I use the "Oce Cleaner A" once per week and it makes a big difference

Capture4.JPG