• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

canvas prints

WOODBS

I have a few pics emailed to me pretty small, blew up in alien skin blow up, still not great. Other than requesting higher rez what can i do..thanks

John Butto

photoshop

Image, Adjustments, Posterize up to about 24 and this will help when you enlarge it, you won't need your skin to enlarge, Photoshop can do it because it will not lose pixels. But like the others said get a better pic.

W

wetgravy

increasing art for reproduction can only go so far ... generally a 3 pixels to 5 pixels increase still has good image quality, but when you pass that it starts to look chunky to the point of being unprintable. Amongst some of the complications is that images become less crisp, image becomes less defined (and there is a difference ... most notably defined shapes become blurry and solid lines will get jagged being the main differences in the two), and noise will develop in soft areas.

Not to say you can't do anything about it. If you were going for less accurate representation of the materials, you could always add noise to the image before printing, increase the levels to help further seperate the middle tones to highs and lows, make things haftoned, use your unsharp mask filter, desaturate > gaussion blur > levels and make sure it's posterized, etc. All these make for art that isn't true to the original, but can help avoid getting better art (which is not always available or beyond the client knowing how to get or actually caring about getting for you)

if it's something you really don't mind going back into and futsing with ... you could always drag your wacom out and select your smudge tool to selectively put definition back into the art and clean up some of the chunkiness that developes ... takes longer, but helps a lot.

Oh and always make sure to work in layers.

signswi

Genuine fractals is PS then pre-sharpen... will get you pretty far

This, I don't like going over 400% but you can go up to 600 or 800% if the art is relatively simple. If it has clean lines you can go really far (but then if it has clean lines you could also just vectorize it...).

Most likely you just need to tell the client to get better art or offer to find some for them at stock sites that are similar and upcharge the cost.

VinylLabs.com

increasing art for reproduction can only go so far ... generally a 3 pixels to 5 pixels increase still has good image quality, but when you pass that it starts to look chunky to the point of being unprintable.

That's weird, my 32" prints are a minimum of 10mp, and even then I find them to be a little bit pixellated. can you tell me how you manage to get away with 3-5mp?