• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carbon fiber for the hood

rvtifer

I used the 3m DI-NOC for some interior trim items and it works nice, has a 3 dimension pattern to it and, while not the real thing, I can see why some would prefer it as it is matte and not shiny.

I also saw a guy that uses this for his roof. I wonder if an extra layer of epoxy would give it the real CF look.

Attachments

• 1280_3362623936373562.jpg
    1280_3362623936373562.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:

MachServTech

cptcorn....sorry about giving you s**t on this thread...I hate looking back and seeing that i was not so nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scarface

Where can you buy the 3M CF material at? I'm very interested

cptcorn

adad
cptcorn....sorry about giving you s**t on this thread...I hate looking back and seeing that i was not so nice.

I was equally a dick... My apologies also... I hold nothing against anything that's said on this board... People just get heated up a bit... :D :beer:

rvtifer

I generally go through Manny (mhondroulis@dinocfilm.com) who works at 3m and can direct you to a place in your area.

S

scarface

I generally go through Manny (mhondroulis@dinocfilm.com) who works at 3m and can direct you to a place in your area.

Contacted Manny, he said i can get it directly from him. Anyone have another place to get it just so i can see if there's any major price jumps?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Did you guys look at that "how to install dinoc" video from the link above?
That was kind of scary.
She went to town on that part over the glove box right after setting that full open can of Primer 94 on the carpet down by her feet without even a floor mat under it.
Then trimming right on the dash with an xacto.
I must be getting real old but I think I wouldn't have done that without taking a little extra time and removing & covering that trim piece outside of the car.

wayne k
guam usa

rvtifer

As I said, I did some interior parts with it. No primer 94 but I certainly did remove the trim pieces and would have not have done them straight on like in the vid

Skeezix

Avery looks okay BUT consider a proper Carbon hood - depends on the car but usually they are pretty reasonable. If its a weird car contact me and I can assist wit a Carbon/fiberglass hood at a decent price

jon vital

There is another carbon fibre material made by the Italian company APA, cast and available in 1520mm. We used it on a 5 series BMW roof and it was pretty good. Not sure how much it would be to ship to the US.

LindyM

I get this quite often, and if its a Honda civic or something as common I do tell them just to buy a real hood. But in the event that its a rare car the real hoods are very expensive so I work with the customer even if in my opinion wrapping it with a fake pattern is lame.

cartoad

Here is a thought on this, FLX paint, is painted vinyl, just put some on the laptop,
it is on an Oracal base vinyl with auto paint on it, after install you wax it. But it is not cheap either,
Fellers sells it or you can buy direct from them. www.flxpaint.com.

stickerguynyc

3m dinocfilm is good but expensive.. will cost your customer like buy a real carbon fiber hood..

pm me and i send you a pic of how it look

Adam Bennett

We recently met with the International Director of sales from 3M, he says that this Di Noc stuff is really taking off oversea for use on cars.

He had a ton of pictures of wood grain, leather, carbon fiber... all on HIGH end italian cars. Unfortunately, there is a distributor on the east coast that secured EXCLUSIVE rights for the entire U.S.

I'll try and find some of those pictures though, they were pretty impressive

CheapVehicleWrap

I installed my sample swatch yesterday. it was just a tad too small to do the gas cap on my dirt bike. GREAT stuff. I did overheat a small section and it flattened out the pattern a bit. I was considering an entire roll ($2100), but after some market research I'm considering less now. Anyone(s) want to split a roll up? A roll is 32.8 (20sf pieces) 4'x5'

onesmf

This turned into a pretty good thread. It reminded me of times when I wanted the "real thing," but opted to save some money, purchasing a lower grade replacement. So there it is. Even I am guilty of wanting the real McCoy, however the cost savings lured me into buying the second grade option. Nothing will ever replace the "real thing." Not in looks, feel or performance. However, that certainly turns on a light bulb that cheap alternatives present a lucrative market. Very interesting.

CheapVehicleWrap

look and feel are authentic. The only way you'd know it wasn't would be to knock on the metal or open the hood. While CF hoods & trunks may have come down a bit (check ebay), they're still a bit pricey and not made for every model.