• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Carriage bearing replacement on Valuejet 1604

heyskull

Well after fitting yet another maintenance station into our 1604 the test print is showing no blocked nozzles and prints as good as the day it was installed.
It is now Seven and Half Years since I had a new print head installed and firmly believe that if blocked nozzles are attended to when they happen you can get unbelieveable life out of a printhead.

The main issue is the carriage bearings are failing and have began to sound rather noisy and the head height has to be constantly set high.

Has anyone replaced the bearings as I have found a chinese supplier and they are for peanuts to buy?

Thanks
SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can only buy the bottom bearings separately. To get the other ones you need to buy the entire carriage. That being said, if you can find the proper bearings I'm sure there's a way to install them but from the looks of it, it's not an easy job.

Umca

For 1604/1614 it was possible to buy complete set of bearings.
upload_2020-7-20_21-11-43.png

The article for order was KY-14620. I am not sure if it available for order now. For new models is possible to buy complete carriage or bottom arm with bearings.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
For 1604/1614 it was possible to buy complete set of bearings.
View attachment 148086
The article for order was KY-14620. I am not sure if it available for order now. For new models is possible to buy complete carriage or bottom arm with bearings.

I looked that part number up in my price list from Mutoh and it doesn't show up which usually means they don't sell it. It would be interesting to know where you bought yours from. Was it a dealer or after market? I get people asking every now and then.

Umca

It was bought from a dealer. It is in pricelist of 2016 year. As I told, it not available anymore. Laast years I bougnt generic bearings from SKF, NSK or EZO.
Actually, Mutoh told they bearings was polished outside for prevent to damage roller strip.

henryp

ice_screenshot_20200722-102722.png This is why bearing raceways maintenance is very important, once the bearings and the raceways become pitted, it becomes big job to fix.

Attachments

• MAI%20Bulleting_021709%20Bearing%20Raceways.pdf
    799.9 KB · Views: 176
  • ice_screenshot_20200722-102736.png
    ice_screenshot_20200722-102736.png
    472.5 KB · Views: 170
  • ice_screenshot_20200722-102749.png
    ice_screenshot_20200722-102749.png
    552.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

heyskull

This is a 2007 machine and has printed Thousands of Metres of print matial and banner.
So it hasn't done to bad has it?

The way Mutoh instruct you to lubricate the carriage bearings is not correct (This has been discussed on this forum before) as they are sealed and adding anying lubrication is going to cause wear caused by picking up dust.

SC

Umca

What’s the problem? Just replace bearings for new set. Any what you want. Chinese or other. Lifetime will depends on bearings quality. All 8 pcs are same.

heyskull

What’s the problem? Just replace bearings for new set. Any what you want. Chinese or other. Lifetime will depends on bearings quality. All 8 pcs are same.
The question was "How do I replace them?"
This looks quiet an intense job and due to never have done anything like this I need guidance.

Cheers
SC

Umca

For first time it will be scary a little. Because many possibilities to damage some parts.
So, my steps...
Remove top cover and top plastic covers on sides.
Release the tension of steel belt on left pulley
Open steel belt on both sides of carriage. Move left opened edge of steel belt to left outside.
Remove T-fence.
Move carriage left to end. To maintenance area.
Press by fingers to bottom bearing arms and release carriage from the rail.
Now you have access to bearings. Maybe one more person will need you for help.
Side bearings mounted on shaft and placed into a plastic frame of carriage. Sometimes with a glue. Carefully remove them, replace bearing and install back.
Top and bottom bearings you will need to free from shafts by removing fixing ring. You can see them on bearings set picture.
It is a short way.

Last edited:

henryp

This is a 2007 machine and has printed Thousands of Metres of print matial and banner.
So it hasn't done to bad has it?

The way Mutoh instruct you to lubricate the carriage bearings is not correct (This has been discussed on this forum before) as they are sealed and adding anying lubrication is going to cause wear caused by picking up dust.

SC
That procedure is not to lubricate the bearings themselves (as you have said, these bearings are sealed). The instruction is for for the maintenance of the bearing raceways so they do not get pitted because once they do, the rolling surface of the bearings will get pitted as well and this is what usually causes the noise and vibration.