• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast Vinyl with easy release ability

sign_noob

I have been using Oracal 651 and 751 Cast vinyl . They both have a 84# release liner. I have been using main tape preview plus GXF 100 as my application tape. Problem that I am having is that small detail in my vinyl does not want to release from the liner. Even when using a squeege and pressing on the back side of the liner, the vinyl doesn't always want to stick to the app tape.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either a different application tape or a different manufactures cast vinyl. I have 1200 aluminum multi-colored signs that need to get done. I have tried speed-press high tack tape as well. Yes, I do use a speed press to help with the alignment.

Andriy

I have been using Oracal 651 and 751 Cast vinyl . They both have a 84# release liner. I have been using main tape preview plus GXF 100 as my application tape. Problem that I am having is that small detail in my vinyl does not want to release from the liner. Even when using a squeege and pressing on the back side of the liner, the vinyl doesn't always want to stick to the app tape.

Does anyone have any suggestions on either a different application tape or a different manufactures cast vinyl. I have 1200 aluminum multi-colored signs that need to get done. I have tried speed-press high tack tape as well. Yes, I do use a speed press to help with the alignment.

Not sure about the vinyl but that usually happens to our vinyl if the plotter blade pressure is too strong. The vinyl kind of embeds itself into the backing.

sign_noob

Not sure about the vinyl but that usually happens to our vinyl if the plotter blade pressure is too strong. The vinyl kind of embeds itself into the backing.

I will lower the pressure and try that. The bade barely scores the backing but it can't hurt to try.

Tony McD

Hi tac tape for small decals, medium or low tack for the larger ones.
I had a speed press at my old job, not sure it's tacky enough to pick up some vinyls.

sign_noob

When we cut vinyl you can't see anything on the backing paper. If it hits paper it's too deep. Or your cutting strip needs replacing.

It's a brand new cutter so I doubt that it is the cutting strip. I decreased the depth of the blade and it just leaves a barely visible mark now. Not sure I want to go any lower in depth or I'll start having problems with weeding. This seems to have helped a little especially when I use a squeegee against the release paper. However, I still have quite a few details that don't want to pull off of the release paper. It's almost like I need just a little more tackiness on the App tape. (Even though I'm using high tack clear tape, it's not nearly as tacky as r.tape Conform. I'm going to order some r.tape ClearChoice AT-65 and AT-75 and see what happens. I know that I'm probably asking for too much but it's getting very tiring having to fight with every piece that I cut. Could be my method.

AF

It's a brand new cutter so I doubt that it is the cutting strip. I decreased the depth of the blade and it just leaves a barely visible mark now. Not sure I want to go any lower in depth or I'll start having problems with weeding. This seems to have helped a little especially when I use a squeegee against the release paper. However, I still have quite a few details that don't want to pull off of the release paper. It's almost like I need just a little more tackiness on the App tape. (Even though I'm using high tack clear tape, it's not nearly as tacky as r.tape Conform. I'm going to order some r.tape ClearChoice AT-65 and AT-75 and see what happens. I know that I'm probably asking for too much but it's getting very tiring having to fight with every piece that I cut. Could be my method.

Use a hard plastic squeegee and a lot of force to adhere the vinyl to the app tape. Hi-tack would be a must for what you are doing. I personally despise cheap app tape as it causes all sorts of issues.

As for downforce, optimally you want enough force to just faintly mark the backing paper. Cut the vinyl and not the backing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's probably one of two things, or perhaps both. Your new cutter isnt all that good and you haven't got the hang of it or most likely this...... when your blade cuts too deep, you are literally cutting the edge of a letter, graphic... whatever so deep, the blade is folding the cut edge around and down and it is ever so slightly adhering itself to the liner where the backing has been broken/torn. If you can see cut marks on your liner, you are cutting too deep.

sign_noob

Yes, I believe that I was cutting too deep. The paper was sticking to the back of my vinyl when I used a squeegee. I believe that has been taken care of now and it seems to have helped a lot. Another factor is that I am re-using the application tape because I have been using a speed press type frame because of the multi-color layout and to help speed up the time per sign. However, I'm only able to re-use the tape a few times before it looses it's sticky qualities. I've been using the speed press high-tack app tape.

Signs are of different sizes, shapes and content. Indoor and Outdoor use for Grocery stores, RV Parks, Golf Cart/Courses... Just a small hobby business and I am not at the level to get into large format printing quite yet. My business is mobile and most signs are done on-site so hopefully that explains why I use vinyl.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
If you can see cut marks on your liner, you are cutting too deep.

I agree and disagree with this....I like to see the faintest bit of scoring on the paper. Not a cut...just a tiny mark, mostly visible if you run a blue Stabilo over it and it shows. Then I know it is cutting the vinyl correctly, and I have a visual mark for laying a second color, replacing a missing letter, etc. ESPECIALLY with small text. But to say the blade should not touch the liner AT ALL is misleading.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree and disagree with this....I like to see the faintest bit of scoring on the paper. Not a cut...just a tiny mark, mostly visible if you run a blue Stabilo over it and it shows. Then I know it is cutting the vinyl correctly, and I have a visual mark for laying a second color, replacing a missing letter, etc. ESPECIALLY with small text. But to say the blade should not touch the liner AT ALL is misleading.

C'mon..... where did I say anything remotely like the words you're putting in my mouth ??

Cutting vinyl is not hard to do. It's not at all difficult. Anyone who is checking their 'scored' etching on the liner with a stabilo is going a little overboard, don't you think ?? After cutting the various vinyls a few times, it becomes almost second nature. You can hear when you cutters are cutting correctly or not. Your last statement is yours. I never said anything close to that. If someone else said it, it is somewhat true. A good sharp blade does not have to penetrate the liner. If you have a machine not calibrated correctly or misaligned parts, worn blades or wrong pressures.... that all has to be learned in the school of 'Hard Knocks'. No short cuts available.
:readthread: .... actually read the post.​

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Wow dude...bent out of shape much? I quoted what you said....I didn't put words in your mouth. And your words implied you should not see a cut mark.
Get over yourself.