• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Certified 1 Owner" car had more than 1. Now what?

GoodPeopleFlags

I bought a used car from a dealership that was "certified 1 owner" but I have since found out that it may have had more than 1 owner. They won't tell me the previous owner's name that they have on file. I found a tag registration receipt in the car manual and gave them that name. They told me that the name I have is different from the one they have. On the CarFax report, there is a title change to a different county. I figured the owner moved but that's not the case. I found the person who's name I have on Facebook and contacted them because all I really want to know is if the timing belt has been changed. I haven't heard back.

I think the car wouldn't be worth as much if it's had more than 1 owner. If I can prove that's true, do I have an recourse? I can't seem to find anything on google search.

Billct2

Never heard of "Certified One Owner", usually "Certified" cars means they have been thru a dealership inspection/repair program and are warranteed for a specified time.

Locals Find!

I don't think you really have any recourse. That certified one owners stuff is just a sales pitch doesn't get calculate into the value of a car at all. Is it really going to effect your use of the vehicle if it had different a$$es in the drivers seat before yours?? If so you should have bought new.

If the car is in good shape and you think the price is agreeable I don't see where the problem lies. I grew up on a used car lot as a kid. You should have seen the stuff they used to do to sell cars. Lying about 1 owner is fairly pedestrian stuff.

I used to see guys tell people they had a new transmission put in when all they did is throw in a handful of sawdust to quiet it down. 30 days later after the lemon law time had expired your transmission quits.

Craig Sjoquist

Check with state vehicular licencing 1st ( had a problem with a used car dealer, they refused to hand over title ) twice I had to file complaint resolved..

Next of course lawyer

GoodPeopleFlags

I'm starting to think the "2nd owner" might be the dealership because the title change happened about 3 weeks before I bought it. But that doesn't explain why the dealership has a different name as the previous owner?

The CarFax has a "One Owner" logo on the report.
one-owner.jpg

Plus, in the paperwork we both signed a form that stated the car has only had one owner.

All I really want to know is if the timing belt has been changed and any other maintenance records. I love the car.

Locals Find!

I'm starting to think the "2nd owner" might be the dealership because the title change happened about 3 weeks before I bought it. But that doesn't explain why the dealership has a different name as the previous owner?

The CarFax has a "One Owner" logo on the report.
one-owner.jpg

Plus, in the paperwork we both signed a form that stated the car has only had one owner.

All I really want to know is if the timing belt has been changed and any other maintenance records. I love the car.

Take it to a good mechanic. Any mechanic that actually knows his stuff can go over the car thoroughly and tell you everything that ever went on with it. (By good mechanic I don't mean some tire shop/ oil change bozo or some shade tree off craigslist)

I find the best mechanics are the guys with crappy little garages and 18 cars waiting in line to be serviced and covered in grease from head to toe. Never trust a guy to work on your car with manicured hands, a clean shirt or a clean bay. If their is time to clean he isn't working on cars.

GoodPeopleFlags

What's that? My mechanic said that in order to tell if it's been changed, he would almost have to take it off anyway, so might as well replace it. But I don't want to do that if it was changed a year ago, ya know?

It's a 2002 VW Passat wagon with 120,000 miles.

CheapVehicleWrap

"2002 Volkswagen Passat Ruined Engine / Timing Belt Slipped; last one to work on the ... CAUTION:This application is an interference engine. ..."

You're concerns ARE VALID.

qmr55

What's that? My mechanic said that in order to tell if it's been changed, he would almost have to take it off anyway, so might as well replace it. But I don't want to do that if it was changed a year ago, ya know?

Why are you changing the timing belt anyway?

Edit: scratch that, read it as 20,000 not 120,000!

Locals Find!

Find a new mechanic. I can't speak for every mechanic out their but, that sounds like a load of crap. Sounds like he is trying to sell you something your probably don't need. If the timing case isn't cracked and your pistons are firing fine. Why even worry about it?

CheapVehicleWrap

Find a new mechanic. I can't speak for every mechanic out their but, that sounds like a load of crap. Sounds like he is trying to sell you something your probably don't need. If the timing case isn't cracked and your pistons are firing fine. Why even worry about it?

"It's good you ran away. I wonder why everyone says replacing the timing belt is "just maintenance" -- I didn't replace my timing belt (I had about 90,000 miles on my 2003 Passat). It died. The VW dealer gave me estimates of $5-6K to replace the engine. They would only give me a 3-6 month warranty on their work so I ended up selling it to a junk car dealer. Lesson ."

qmr55

Why even worry about it? Because timing belts are the biggest piece of sh*t design in an engine. That is why I like my 85 C10 Pickup with the timing CHAIN I will never have to worry about.

Your mechanic is correct, to see if the timing belt is worn you need to just about take it out anyway so might as well change it. You're paying for the labor not the belt...

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for confirming that, Devo. Not that I personally doubted it. My mechanic has been in business for years and works solely on foreign cars, mainly VWs. He's also a customer at the sign shop. He has a very good reputation in town and I trust him.

qmr55

Thanks for confirming that, Devo. Not that I personally doubted it. My mechanic has been in business for years and works solely on foreign cars, mainly VWs. He's also a customer at the sign shop. He has a very good reputation in town and I trust him.

Yup, I would have to say let him change it. Did he quote you to change it? Replace the tensioner too while it is apart.

signage

Most titles have a letter in front of them stating owner changes. I would have the timing belt changed, that is most likely the reason the person traded it in, didn't want to pay to have it changed and knew they are know to go around that mileage.

Letterbox Mike

If you're in doubt I'd definitely pony up and go ahead and have the timing belt and water pump replaced. It's not cheap but a broken timing belt will destroy your engine, so it's good insurance.

Even if Know it's been done, every time I've ever bought a higher mileage car I always go ahead and have this done just for peace of mind.

edit: And Devo is right, replace the tensioner as well, it's a cheap part that can and will fail, which will destroy the engine as well.

signage

edit: And Devo is right, replace the tensioner as well, it's a cheap part that can and will fail, which will destroy the engine as well.

If someone replaces the timing belt and doesn't change the tensioner they are just an inexperienced mechanic! And timing chains also go bad, that 1985 motor most likely have plastic gears unless it has already been changed!

qmr55

If someone replaces the timing belt and doesn't change the tensioner they are just an inexperienced mechanic! And timing chains also go bad, that 1985 motor most likely have plastic gears unless it has already been changed!

Small block Chevys have steel timing gear sets and a plastic cam gear with a steel center. Timing chain, gear set and cam gear are all original! 85 Chevy pickup with 230,00~ miles.

As long as you keep up with the timing in these motors you will never have a problem with the chain.