• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CG-130 FX plotter - Contour cutting issues

ATTTR

Desperate for help!!!

I've been trying to conquer this issue for months, even had an Advantage tech out here twice. I've had it with Advantage and their unreliable support so I am begging for help here.

I have some step-by-step instructions on how to use FineCut 8 with Illustrator to perform contour cutting. I've never gotten it to work myself, and the tech only got it to work once. (Also have Onyx, but have NO idea how to use it for contour cutting. Haven't found a tutorial that's helpful.)

I get various error messages, but I currently cannot get past ERR37 MARK ORG.
Of course, referencing the manual is a futile effort.

Cause: Detect the origin point out of the cut area.
Remedy: Arrange the registration marks inside of the sheet.

Now... my red dot is quite plainly inside the type 2 mark, inside the lines. So could someone please translate the above into plain English, cuz my addled brain isn't getting it.

off topic: 9 months I've been working with these Mimaki machines. Have had very little training, am a total novice and thinking about a job change because of this (if I don't get fired first). Does anyone know if there are classes for training in the machines and softwares? I use FineCut 8 with Ai CS4 (because FineCut doesn't work with CS6 yet) and Onyx.

Here is a diagram of the cutting area from the manual. Are you trying to set the origin outside of the cutting area (as defined by the pinch rollers), or are your registration marks outside of the pinch rollers? I always try to have my outside pinch rollers at least .5" to .75" outside the registration marks to avoid errors.

cutting area.jpg

ATTTR

Thanks for your response.

I have double-checked the position of my pinch rollers in regards to placement and the registration marks per your suggestion.
Pinch rollers are approx .5" from the mark line. Just to be sure, I readjusted everything and sent again.
Same error. Though the instruction sheet you attached has the detection mark taking place in the upper left corner, whereas I was shown to use the lower right corner. I am not sure how to even change that.

I use the lower right corner, also. You can change it by using the FUNCTION key and going to SETUP > ORGN SELECT and then pick where to start. Maybe that is your problem, that you are using a different corner than the machine is expecting.

ATTTR

Just an update - it turns out the err37 is because the machine doesn't feel like it has enough material, either on the sides or front/back. It was suggested to me that I have 2 inches away from the reg marks on each side, and at least 3-4" of extra material front and back and have the pinch rollers as far from the registration marks as possible on the sides. Once I taped a section of paper to the front and back, the plotter was happy and I was good to go. Cut like a charm (*knock on wood).

I had NO idea that's what the error meant. The translation in the manual is useless...

round man

first of all graphtec recommends type tp1 registration marks,... finecut should place them for you with a red area around the marks to make for better contrast for the sensor on the plotter,....if you look closely the registration marks which are black appear as they do in the setup diagrams but the red area around them which is only for contrast appears like tp2 marks,....send only the cut layer in your file to finecut,...then put your print in the plotter with the directional triangle towards you,....turn the plotter on and it should boot and go directly to the sense registration marks and once you manually nest the laser in the lower right mark and hit enter till you get a "ct.*********"(the astericks being a bunch of numbers) readout on the lcd on the control panel of the plotter,...the plotter will move the head around until it finds the marks and then move like it's cutting a square before it finally shows the ct1 readout,...push the remote button and it should cut your file once you click the plotdialog in finecut,...

MikePro

Lol
Yeah, instruction manual says that you need to have material in the machine for it to work.

Was this problem happening when the tech was there? I highly doubt any tech worth his salt would load a cutter incorrectly.