• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chalkboard vinyl stuff

showcase 66

I have a meeting with a daycare/pre school and they are wanting to have the chalkboard vinyl in shapes on the wall and things like that.

I have not messed with it before so I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on which is best and if there is anything I should know about working with it.

Thanks

CheapVehicleWrap

The hexis looks decent and is available in smaller quantities. Never seen one advertised that didn't require a wet sponge to clean. Please post your experiences.

iSign

jigsaw some durable shapes in cheap masonite & use chalkboard paint... far nicer product, they can take down & move around... charge more & sell on versitility

Morgeaux

We've used both the Hexis vinyl and the stuff from Sign Warehouse (search for chalkboard). They are about the same so just go for price. Make sure you increase the force on your machine to cut through the 8 mil material and be sure you're cutting out shapes that are not too intricate. We've sold chalkboard designs for about 2 years now and haven't had any customer complaints about the product. Make sure the customer knows that it is a permanent installation and may take some paint off the wall when it eventually is removed. I throw that in because our customers are used to wall graphics which we constantly tout as being removable w/o damaging surfaces.

S'N'S

I have used a few different brands of chalk board vinyl and it's great, will outlast blackboard paint. Most vinyl suppliers have it, I mainly use one from my Avery dealer(can't remember the brand), Multifix, Image Perfect.....it is a lot thicker than your normal vinyl but still cuts easy.
I have also used it on lots of menus that change their prices often and use a liquid chalk pen on them for neater writing..

Last edited:

showcase 66

jigsaw some durable shapes in cheap masonite & use chalkboard paint... far nicer product, they can take down & move around... charge more & sell on versitility

I was originally thinking the same thing. I have a ton of the chalkboard paint from a menu board I did recently. The only reason I was thinking vinyl is because the second conversation I had with them, they said that is what they had in the other location before moving here. Size is an issue as well. I have only seen 24" media with the this type of vinyl and one item they are wanting is about 4' x 6'. Not sure if it will work very well with a seem. First time someone colors all over it the seem will show forever I am thinking.

Getting ready to meet with them so hopefully I will have a better idea of what they want exactly.