• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Changed dampers and this happened

okeesignguy

I am printing using a Roland sp540-v... 54 inch printer...
My red started dropping out and turning orange so after trying all of the normal things I decided to change the dampers because I had two so, why not, it's worth a try...
Here is what it looked like testing a black square and a red square...
20200130_153812.jpg

Then after changing the two dampers to that head, this is what happened...
Really nice color but it had smears of yellow and red "behind" it...
20200130_153558.jpg

So...I tried cleaning the heads manually and this is where I am at right now...
Keep in mind there is NO YELLOW intentionally printed here...
The two squares are supposed to be on a white background...
20200130_153621.jpg

Any ideas what is going on here.....thank you!

Last edited:

okeesignguy

I tried printing some white background signs just to see what would happen....
This is what happened...
Have I blown out a head...?
20200130_163231.jpg

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It appears in the process of changing the dampers, you may have knocked the ribbon to the magenta/yellow head out of kilter. What you are seeing I typically see when a ribbon cable isn't properly seated and the print head goes into a free fire mode. I suggest you immediately power down and unplug the printer. Pull the ribbon cables going to the magenta/yellow head, making sure there are no damaged traces. Then reseat the cables and make sure they are seated squarely in the connectors on the print heads. I would suggest looking at all the other ribbons on the black/cyan, making sure they are squarely seated also. Hopefully this will take care of your issue.
Regards,
Jim Hancock

okeesignguy

It appears in the process of changing the dampers, you may have knocked the ribbon to the magenta/yellow head out of kilter. What you are seeing I typically see when a ribbon cable isn't properly seated and the print head goes into a free fire mode. I suggest you immediately power down and unplug the printer. Pull the ribbon cables going to the magenta/yellow head, making sure there are no damaged traces. Then reseat the cables and make sure they are seated squarely in the connectors on the print heads. I would suggest looking at all the other ribbons on the black/cyan, making sure they are squarely seated also. Hopefully this will take care of your issue.
Regards,
Jim Hancock
This seems like it could absolutely be the issue...can't wait to get to work and check this out...!
I think I actually have a couple spare ribbon cables...
Thank you!

okeesignguy

Regards,
Jim Hancock
BINGO...!!! Thanx man...