• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing FJ 50 to EcoSolvent

select426

Does anyone have any experience on changing the FJ 50 to an eco-solvent. We have a refurbished machine here and i would like to change it over so we can use all the media's as the sp-540 we have. WOndering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction?

iSign

Does anyone have any experience on changing the FJ 50 to an eco-solvent. We have a refurbished machine here and i would like to change it over so we can use all the media's as the sp-540 we have. WOndering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction?

I asked that same question a few years ago, & received a private message of the following:

I have an FJ-50 and I converted it to use mild solvent inks.
I had an encad before this (waterbased pigment) and I can tell you that as a signmaker, you'll definately be better off with a solvent ink system.
The conversion is fairly simple. You don't need to change printheads or dampers or internal tubes or capping station.
You just need a long life pump and change some tubing.
There's a lot of other thing to know too though!
If you decide to go this way, I'd be happy to assist.

As far as I know, there's not many other users out there running mild solvent hexachrome inks! But I am really happy with the results I'm getting.
I can print photo's straight to gloss vinyl that look just like an enlargement.
The printer will handle full 1370mm width banner stock.
I can print bumper stickers, fridge magnets, full color banners on uncoated material, vehicle wraps - anything that the Mimaki can, albeit slower.

So overall they're a good printer, but much more useful with mild solvent inks.

I haven't verified this information, but I also had a reply to a post about this conversion from Barry, the admin over at printingdigital.com. This is what he had to say:

Doug,

Not sure where you heard about the poor support from Roland, but they probably have the best support out of all the Larger printer Manufactures out there IMO...

You may want to do some research, because I believe you can convert that machine over to Eco-Sol pretty easily. It will probably cost you a few thousand dollars, but it would be well worth it to get the extra duribility for outdoor prints.

Barry @ PrintingDigital.net
www.PrintingDigital.net

Also, doing a search on Barry's site, I found THIS thread with posts from 2 individuals who are both running a converted FJ 50.

Hope this helps :thumb: