• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

channel letter clincher, staples, pins????????

craigwojo

I need to find a cheap reliable way to join the channel letter signs to the backing of the letters. Ive seen videos with people just using a air type gun to connect the two. I understand the clinching method bu do not have the starting up resources to spend $5000+ for a clincher.

Responses are always appreciated.

Thank you and God bless,
Craig

SfSD

Ways to join returns and backs

I am asking the same question. I do know there are several ways:

- the cheap way seems to be a drill and a air pop rivet gun. I understood the rivets are aluminum and this is a time consuming, but workable way
- Staples are a possibility. I know there is a machine “RED STAPLE MACHINE from Joliet Illinois” I have heard that staples are not idea because they rust
- There is spot welding, but this is not a good way with prepainted returns or backs, also Aluminum takes a huge amount of power
- Welding, it is not used, and likely not cost effective. But TIG is possible
- I think you could “glue” them, 3M and Load actually make extremely strong 2 part epoxies. I know of nobody doing this.
- Clinching – this seems the way to go. It is a cold forming process and can join different thicknesses and even different metals. It is not cheap

On Clinchers I think there are a few players like:
- Norlok Surelok series (3 machines)
- Accu-Clintch
- CLN has a series of 3 machines – LOK series
- EZ CLINCHER a Chinese deal

I would like to know more about other ways or the pros and cons of these. Also a better list of available machines.

petrosgraphics

not sure how big your letters are. you can pop rivet them, a little time consuming, but will work well. you will only need a few rivets on the straights, rounds will not be bad either. make a gig (post) the same height as the inside of the letter, work your way around the letter with your rivets you will find you will not need as many rivets as you think. when you are done put a small bead of silicone around the inside of the letter.

long Liu

Ways to join returns and backs

I am asking the same question. I do know there are several ways:

- the cheap way seems to be a drill and a air pop rivet gun. I understood the rivets are aluminum and this is a time consuming, but workable way
- Staples are a possibility. I know there is a machine “RED STAPLE MACHINE from Joliet Illinois” I have heard that staples are not idea because they rust
- There is spot welding, but this is not a good way with prepainted returns or backs, also Aluminum takes a huge amount of power
- Welding, it is not used, and likely not cost effective. But TIG is possible
- I think you could “glue” them, 3M and Load actually make extremely strong 2 part epoxies. I know of nobody doing this.
- Clinching – this seems the way to go. It is a cold forming process and can join different thicknesses and even different metals. It is not cheap

On Clinchers I think there are a few players like:
- Norlok Surelok series (3 machines)
- Accu-Clintch
- CLN has a series of 3 machines – LOK series
- EZ CLINCHER a Chinese deal

I would like to know more about other ways or the pros and cons of these. Also a better list of available machines.
I bought the notchering machine from the China supplier, its not working so well. I bet the EZ clincher is not either! I am looking for a letter stitcher.