• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chips on 3M 1080 Films ?

Vinh1219

I just finish a wrapping a car in Matte White using 3M 1080 and after couple days there is already rock chips on the car. I thought the Vinyl is already laminated and i thought 3M quality is good . What should i tell the customer ?

njshorts

I just finish a wrapping a car in Matte White using 3M 1080 and after couple days there is already rock chips on the car. I thought the Vinyl is already laminated and i thought 3M quality is good . What should i tell the customer ?

thought it was already laminated? care to explain?

J Hill Designs

yeah 1080 is the solid color / special wrap film:

OUT OF THE BOX
No printing. No overlaminate. Open the box and start wrapping.

the graphics co

Also, i would be willing to bet the chipped areas are stretched and under a lot of stress, which would cause it to chip more easily.

Ponto

...check out the 3M Rock Guard Laminate.....I 'spose your client may benefit from its application.....

JP

jdmage_mx5

I used the 1080 Matte Metallic Silver on my Mini Cooper S and it has held up very well for being a low car. There are a few small chips in it but no more than 3-4 and it has been about a year now. My problem is if I don't keep the car clean every week the dirt/road grime will start to stain the horizontal areas of the car. On a side note the film is a little on the thin side so rock chips will happen at some point.

Also you could tell your customer to back off from the car in front of them on the interstate, this will help tremendously.