• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Choice of Perforated Material on Windows

SignEx

We have a customer who wants to cover some large windows 42x90 on building with perforated material, I'm not an expert on the perforated material, hoped someone could chime in, Is all perforated material rated at 1 yr, Is there a big difference between Grimco's Briteline at 600 a roll compared to 3m at 1800 a roll,
Also would the perf material need to be laminated for the window use?

any input would be appreciated,

thanks mark

Inks

Most window perf lasts one year, 3M is a 2 year product.
Many laminate with optically clear laminate, this keeps dirt from building up in the open areas.

Inks

Expected Performance Life of 7 years (unwarranted period for unprinted film with no graphic protection, applied to a flat, vertical, outdoor surface in a non-abusive environment)
That is dual color for backlit signage. I was talking about window perf for windows

Inks

3M 8170 - 40 or 50 - 2 years outdoor according to their specs.
The one you mention is as you state and for backlit boxes and channel letters.

Melks

I mainly use 3M IJ67 perforated film on exterior windows. Most of the time I laminate with 3M 8518 gloss overlaminate. It is a calendered film with a cast overlaminate combo that I have had nothing but success with over the years. The 3M materials are not always cheap compared to the various other brands Grimco offers, but the durability is well worth it. I have not tried Avery or Oracal perf, but I am sure those work well too. Moving towards is cast perf from 3M with optical overlam can be extremely pricey!

Melks

Is this printed or just blacking out a window for privacy?
For black out, 3m is hard to beat. It will not curl over time and has like a 7 year life.
For printed, I have gone the 3m route, but trying to profile the colors (especially on perf) was such a waste of money, I ended up switching to a much cheaper product from BigFish on here. It's been a fine material, though I've had some lift on some panels over the years.
Does 3M offer an out of the box black perforated film (black on adhesive side and black on printing side)? What product would this be?

MichelleK

We have a customer who wants to cover some large windows 42x90 on building with perforated material, I'm not an expert on the perforated material, hoped someone could chime in, Is all perforated material rated at 1 yr, Is there a big difference between Grimco's Briteline at 600 a roll compared to 3m at 1800 a roll,
Also would the perf material need to be laminated for the window use?

any input would be appreciated,

thanks mark
Continental Grafix has an incredibly wide variety of exterior-mount (1-, 2-, 3-, and 5-year options) as well as interior-mount perforated window film. www.cgxusa.com or I can send you a swatch book to check out all the options.

Shirthead

I really like Gregory, Inc. - Trendfilm 2C perforated vinyl, 60/40 view. It prints and preforms well at a great price point. The 54" x 50yd roll is only $320 with ground freight paid. It's always in-stock.
If I'm laminating I always use an optically clear laminate from Avery.

Melks

Indeed they do. 3m dual blockout 3635-222. Great stuff, easy to apply, cast, 7 year life. Only downside is I've only seen it in 48"
Good to know! I have yet to make a Fellers account as it doesn't make much sense for me to purchase from them considering I am based in Canada. How much does a roll of the 3M dual blockout 3635-222 go for? Wish they had a Fellers up here in Canada I tell yuh!