• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chromalux Sublimation Color Help

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Dye Sublimation Equipment
Epson F6370, Epson Edge Print, Epson DS Transfer Paper, Geo-Knight Maxi-Press

All of my prints tend to shift to the green side. Light Blue/Blue always turns out teal. Grays tend to have the wretched green tone. Reds and Yellows turn out awesome. Unfortunately Epson stopped sending Wasatch Rip with their Epson printers when we bought our machine last year so I'm stuck with Epson Edge Print for now. I'm using their Thick 100/gm(Paper Thickness) for rigid materials profile. I generally press at 385 degrees for 2-4 minutes depending on the size with 60-70 lbs of pressure. Does anyone have any experience with these machines that could give me some insights on things to try to alleviate the green tint?

We do have Onyx Thrive that runs all of our other printers but I heard it's not great with Chromalux panels and dyes sublimation (correct me if I'm wrong) so I didn't want to spend the time and to create a profile. It's also pretty pricey to create a Chromalux profile due to the cost of the panels. We also have an i1 Pro 2 Spectrophotometer and I've created profiles in the past. Epson Edge print doesn't seem to have a profile generator like Thrive.

Any help is appreciated.

soggywinter

Wasatch RIP has given me excellent results, but with a Mutoh RJ900x. It isn't terribly expensive and your dealer should be able to get a 30 day trial key.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Onyx works just fine with sublimation. In my last job, I ran 12 sublimation printers profiled through Onyx, and had neutral grays and great color. Go for it!

Grizzly

Onyx works just fine with sublimation. In my last job, I ran 12 sublimation printers profiled through Onyx, and had neutral grays and great color. Go for it!

Even for rigid substrates like Chromalux panels?

Last edited:

Grizzly

Here’s an example of the color differences. The one on the left is the sublimation panel and the one on the right is a laser print on regular paper which is within reason of the screen. Which I would be totally happy with if the panel turned out like that. And the photo actually made the gray look better on the sublimation panel than it is in real life.
a066303bc96d8a6e3b329b90bea86f9e.jpg

Last edited:

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Pretty safe to assume it’ll handle the profiling on rigid substrates easily or a lot of flatbed guys would be upset.

have you tried just using a different profile if you don’t want to create one?

Grizzly

Pretty safe to assume it’ll handle the profiling on rigid substrates easily or a lot of flatbed guys would be upset.

have you tried just using a different profile if you don’t want to create one?

We have flatbeds here as well. Most of my profiling experiences is with flatbeds and UV ink. Onyx does a great job with profiling for those.
But flatbed printing is totally different than dye-sub. Epson edge print is pretty limited and there are only 2 other options which yield similar results.

Andrew Heiner

Onyx is much better than wastach. But I think your pressing too hot. We press at 355 for acouple mins depending on the size. But every day is diffrent, and we tend to reprofile quite a bit.
The glossy surface can be hard for the xrite, sometimes it takes a few tries. Also ink limits can be tricky as well.

Grizzly

Onyx is much better than wastach. But I think your pressing too hot. We press at 355 for acouple mins depending on the size. But every day is diffrent, and we tend to reprofile quite a bit.
The glossy surface can be hard for the xrite, sometimes it takes a few tries. Also ink limits can be tricky as well.

I've been letting Onyx do the ink limits. It seems that it has gotten better over the years. Do you recommend something different on Chromalux panels?