• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CJV30-130 Help! Before I gamble on a mainboard

signlords

Printer worked perfectly as of Friday July 3rd, went to use it Tuesday the 7th and Flexi could not send to it. Spent the last 24 hours, swapping USB cables, uninstalling drivers, rebooting, re-installing drivers. The PC will NOT see my printer. Device manager does not even flicker when I plug it in, no windows chime like it recognizes a device being plugged in. Tried a different PC with nothing but a fresh windows load on it, same symptoms. Every single feature on the printer's panel itself works though. I can change modes, go in and out of remote mode, do sheet cuts, test prints, etc. So before I spend $1300 on a main board because the USB port is directly on it does anyone have any ideas?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I think my co-worker spoke to you on the phone about this. Just to see if I can add any insight, usually when the USB fails on that board it's either physically desoldered from the board or the chip that handles the USB protocol is fried. If you can find a person who is good with fixing surface level components, it very well could be fixable. It's not always a given in my experience though. The physical damage has a much better chance of being fixed. A new main board will fix the issue but it's a big expense for sure especially when the board is working 99% and just the USB is bad.

signlords

Yes we did call you guys first. You guys have helped us through many problems over the years. (Even on our first crappy Roland converted to Eco-Sol) We actually have been in the electronics repair business for 18 years, and added signage about 5 years ago. I soldered a new USB port on my plotter a year ago, still holding strong. I see nothing on the board or port that suggest failed solder joints. As far as the USB protocol chip, that I might not have the equipment to replace assuming I could even find a replacement. We are in Florida on the east coast and had crazy storms all weekend. It's just so odd that the PC the printer is plugged into would have suffered no issues, and if it came right from the 110 out of the wall into the printer that it only killed that one thing.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I may be able to help you out. I have a surface mount rework station and do board repairs to a certain level. If you can send a hi-res pic of the mainboard, especially a pic in the USB connector area, I will see if I can identify the USB chip and if I can get one. Where on the east coast are you? I'm in Delray Beach. You can call the number in my signature if you want to discuss on the phone.

signlords

I may be able to help you out. I have a surface mount rework station and do board repairs to a certain level. If you can send a hi-res pic of the mainboard, especially a pic in the USB connector area, I will see if I can identify the USB chip and if I can get one. Where on the east coast are you? I'm in Delray Beach. You can call the number in my signature if you want to discuss on the phone.

The USB port itself is the top left corner of the picture. Let me know what ya think. We are in Merritt Island, FL. Looks like 2.5 hours from you.

Attachments

• 20200708_164415.jpg
    20200708_164415.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 120