• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear plastic divider bar?

Big EZ Signs LLC

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I remember back in the day, that on large flat faced sign cabinets, you sometimes could split the face in two, and use a clear plastic divider bar between the faces. For the life of me, I can't find them. My local supply house (Reece) doesn't know what I'm talking about. Anyone else remember these? Any idea who might stock them?
Thanks in advance,

JBurton

Signtologist
Why would you want it to be clear? Any light from the cabinet would beam out the gap and out shine the panels.
It sounds like you're actually describing marquee track, gluing clear strips to a white face, then sliding clear panels with graphics into the track.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Several times we bonded a clear piece down the back of one side, slide the next panel over and glue is on the site. We would cut the matching halves on a 45º angle so, as mentioned, no bright light shone between them. Not great, but it worked. Luckily, we were never called out to work on any of them. The biggest we did like that was about 10' tall and 40 some feet long. The smallest was 28" tall and about 40' long.

You can also tie the 2 halves together with wire, but with wind movement and other elements, that just never seemed like a good idea, but lotsa old timers did it.

Johnny Best

We use to cut a cłear 4”wide quarter inch thick strip the lenght of the face and attach with screws to one side of face and slide other side to be joined and butt the two together and make sure it lines up if there was copy or graphic involved and attached that sides with screws, make sure the screws are right lenght so it goes threw face and clear acrylic. Did not glue one side as noted because most of the time it was spray painted on the inside of clear 3/8” acrylic and glue would have melted the spray paint.