• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clear Vinyl on Canon Colorado 1650?

Squared2002

Has anyone had any luck printing Clear Vinyl on the Canon Colorado 1650? Because of the Clear material the printer is not wanting to recognize the material.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
What if it's not white? Clear vinyl and clear backer. That's what I think he's after.
Simpy use another stock.

Then again, all the top brands all have white backing paper. I've never seen clear vinyl on clear backing material.
Only clear i've seen and used is clear PET film, but has no backing paper, so the colorado would have issues with it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Simpy use another stock.

Then again, all the top brands all have white backing paper. I've never seen clear vinyl on clear backing material.
Only clear i've seen and used is clear PET film, but has no backing paper, so the colorado would have issues with it.
It's not always the answer to "just use something else". Even tho I know that's what the colorado sales guy would say lol.
I don't know the reason why but optically "ultra" clear materials seem to come with clear backers.

BluetailGFX

Journeyman
It's not always the answer to "just use something else". Even tho I know that's what the colorado sales guy would say lol.
I don't know the reason why but optically "ultra" clear materials seem to come with clear backers.
The smoother the Liner, the Thinner the Liner, the smoother and thinner the adhesive layer is on the Film, which translates to a smoother face surface of the film. To be "optically clear" that adhesive layer has to be very very smooth and consistent. No orange peel.
This is why say 8508 cal lam looks a little "blurry" and "orange peely" over a printed film compared to 8518.
Also why a wrap film that has a plastic clear liner typically has a smoother surface and glossier appearance than a wrap film that has a paper liner. The use of "over caps" or "application liners" is also being used today to help make a smoother film surface even with a paper liner.
This is also why most laminates come on a clear liner if they are cast. It makes a smoother finished product.

Today i use the 3m 180-114 wrap clear, which has a paper liner so the machine sees it. Or a calendared clear like Briteline 3205, again a paper liner.

In the past I may have used tape to cover up sensors on printers to trick it so I could print directly onto a clear film with a clear plastic liner. Used to solvent print to a cast laminate for certain effects on jobs before there were clear print films.

But i would imagine that on the Colorado, that would be not an option.
So short of some similar "trick" from a Colorado user for that issue, then switch the stock to something with a paper liner would be the only logical option.

Orafol 3952F, Drytac Viziprint, Lintec 2000Z, Nekoosa Hi-Stat Optically Clear Static Cling are several examples (among many others) of clear medias that come on clear synthetic liners. As mentioned, this is to provide optical clarity that is not possible with a paper liner.

KEYSER SOZE

Has anyone had any luck printing Clear Vinyl on the Canon Colorado 1650? Because of the Clear material the printer is not wanting to recognize the material.
There certainly is a way Mr Square.

Cut off a 50mm wide strip from the end of a roll of CAST WHITE AIR-RELEASE vinyl the same width as the roll of optically clear you are printing on.
3M IJ180 works best, it's thin, tacky, and easy to remove when you're done.
Make it nice and neat, and make a few of them for future use while you're at it.

Press Feed on the control panel with any roll of white media the same width as your clear.
Once it's visible open the cover and put texta marks on the platen each side of the media.
Close the cover and press Retract on the white media.
Open the cover and carefully stick your strip of white cast vinyl on the platen about 10mm away from the clamp rollers.
Rub it down really well.
Load and feed your clear vinyl and away you go !

Once you're finished just peel the cast white vinyl strip off the platten, it comes off clean every time.

We print a fair amount of optically clear, this is quick and has never failed.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
There certainly is a way Mr Square.

Cut off a 50mm wide strip from the end of a roll of CAST WHITE AIR-RELEASE vinyl the same width as the roll of optically clear you are printing on.
3M IJ180 works best, it's thin, tacky, and easy to remove when you're done.
Make it nice and neat, and make a few of them for future use while you're at it.

Press Feed on the control panel with any roll of white media the same width as your clear.
Once it's visible open the cover and put texta marks on the platen each side of the media.
Close the cover and press Retract on the white media.
Open the cover and carefully stick your strip of white cast vinyl on the platen about 10mm away from the clamp rollers.
Rub it down really well.
Load and feed your clear vinyl and away you go !

Once you're finished just peel the cast white vinyl strip off the platten, it comes off clean every time.

We print a fair amount of optically clear, this is quick and has never failed.

There is an easier solution.

Use a "leader"

If you open the draw, there's instructions with numbers from 1-5. that shows you how to how to put a leader on the stock.
this is for "load weak media"
https://docs.cpp.canon/help?tsm=ODP...GUID-04F29C23-BC5C-4BEB-8278-5FBE9A1D2614.xml
this will put a backing on your clear film so it can read the width. as long as the width is the same.

You can manually do this on the table by unrolling the film an taping some paper or banner to it. needs to be as wide as the film and 900mm long IICR.

GC Decor

Super Printer
3M had a clear profile that worked well, I’m not totally sure what series it was only used it a few times on the Colorado. Clear for us had limited usage on the Colorado because it doesn’t have a white option. From what I remembered we had to turn off media tracking when we used it, didn’t pickup the lines well and would stop after a few feet.

KEYSER SOZE

There is an easier solution.

Use a "leader"

If you open the draw, there's instructions with numbers from 1-5. that shows you how to how to put a leader on the stock.
this is for "load weak media"
https://docs.cpp.canon/help?tsm=ODP000091-2.0EN.US&pageid=GUID-30412A3A-C61D-4587-8569-F1F12AF7C378.xml#Load weak media!@$GUID-04F29C23-BC5C-4BEB-8278-5FBE9A1D2614.xml
this will put a backing on your clear film so it can read the width. as long as the width is the same.

You can manually do this on the table by unrolling the film an taping some paper or banner to it. needs to be as wide as the film and 900mm long IICR.
Howdy Paul,

We did try this, but it takes way longer, wastes material, and can have head strikes issues.

There are generally slight usage marks on the platen where you can see the where to put the 50mm strip anyway, so all you really need to do is stick the strip on and start printing
It literally takes about 2 minutes and involves no extra dicking around with rolls.

The strip being white also means the enhanced media tracking can be used, which gets around GC's problem of stopping, and gives a much better print than turning it off.

Give it a go next time you need optically clear.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_121932.jpg
    IMG_20221116_121932.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20221116_121942.jpg
    IMG_20221116_121942.jpg
    997.3 KB · Views: 119

GC Decor

Super Printer
Howdy Paul,

We did try this, but it takes way longer, wastes material, and can have head strikes issues.

There are generally slight usage marks on the platen where you can see the where to put the 50mm strip anyway, so all you really need to do is stick the strip on and start printing
It literally takes about 2 minutes and involves no extra dicking around with rolls.

The strip being white also means the enhanced media tracking can be used, which gets around GC's problem of stopping, and gives a much better print than turning it off.

Not a bad ideal at all, gonna give this a try next time we use clear on clear. Did you have to recalibrate the vacuum zones or did they work without adjusting ??

KEYSER SOZE

Not a bad ideal at all, gonna give this a try next time we use clear on clear. Did you have to recalibrate the vacuum zones or did they work without adjusting ??
I didn't need to change the vacuum settings.
Because the media is quite thin, the profile for optically clear uses tension take-up and the vacuum is pretty light-on anyway.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Howdy Paul,

I know it wastes media.
This is what i do for light weight stock. i have a pre set size of banner and i tape it to the stock before loading it.
Only difference is that have the media profile set so i can open the lid and remove it.
If you use something like 250gsm PET film for pullup banners or synthetic paper stock. you can re-use it over and over as you'd just remove it once it comes though.

I do like the tape method though. it's easy.
but it's not often we print on stuff like that though.