• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clipart/Font Management & Print Software

srt10x3

Is anyone aware of a software package or utility that will allow me to print out my clipart and fonts so I can put them in a binder for clients to look through?

Thanks in advance

Craig

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Be thankful to whatever gods there be that there isn't any universal tool for this sort of thing.

While it might be nice to do something like this as a reference for yourself, the last thing you want to do is allow your clientele to pick their own typefaces and decorations.

In this comedy you're supposed to be the authority on typography, form, and such as that, not the client. I'm not sure how it is in your village but most of the specimens in this region couldn't pick their nose let alone a suitable type face. They're not supposed to be able to do so, that's why they're paying you.

The rule in this here shop is that they get to say what it says, even specify a motif or flavor, but I get to say how it says whatever it is it's going to say. A proper division of labor which precludes incompetents from making decisions of which they are incapable or at best, hopelessly inept. If they find that onerous, they can head right back out the door.

JMDigital

srt10x3 said:
Is anyone aware of a software package or utility that will allow me to print out my clipart and fonts so I can put them in a binder for clients to look through?

Thanks in advance

Craig

Try this...
http://www.extensis.com/en/products/

They have a program call portfolio 8, that will make catalogs of clipart. As for fonts they have a font manager I dont know if it prints...

Techman

cumulus.. comes freee as a demo with corel draw 9.. it will make a thumbnail of every clip art or pic on your machine or cd. You can view them on screen.
Then, you can print out a catalog of thumbnails too. ITs limited to just 5000 images per catalog, but all you have to do is make another catalog.

I find this limitation moot because very few disks have more than 5000 images.

I enjoyed the power of this util so much i purchased a full version.

Which one?

bob said:
While it might be nice to do something like this as a reference for yourself, the last thing you want to do is allow your clientele to pick their own typefaces and decorations.
Give them 30 to choose from, they'll be there 30 min. Give them 6000 they will move in! :Big Laugh

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not really.

My experience is that it takes less than one minute for their eyes to glaze over and then they pick the boldest font on the first page they look at or say something like "how about I leave it to you".

Sorry fred i was joking

You already said it. Extensis Portfolio, Suitcase Fusion and Font Thing is what i use also.:biggrin: But you must have had one?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
cinemasign.grafix said:
You already said it. Extensis Portfolio, Suitcase Fusion and Font Thing is what i use also.:biggrin: But you must have had one?

I knew that. :Cool 2:

I've been using Portfolio since 1998. Great product. I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to version 8 now.

Sign One

I did actually spend a dead winter day printing out my favorites (fonts)did the upper and lower case numbers etc, print it, then go back to textbox and change the font. A lot of customers ask to see letter styles, after telling the client I would pick the letter style that is appropriate, they seemed to be put off. I like having my binder of fonts (dingbats too) that I can let a customer look through, especially when they have to wait their turn, after seeing the selection and getting dizzy, they usually defer to my expertise, but sometimes get a feel for what they like, old english, etc. Flipping thru also helps jog my memory or get my creative juices flowing. I also subscribe to some clip art online sources, when I see a stand of trees I realy like, etc. I will download it and print it and put it in my Logo Helper binder. I would never remember each favorite in a folder on my desktop.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I avoid letting customers pick out fonts. Unless they already have some pre-existing artwork (logo, type treatments, etc.) or have a specific font they really want to use, I'm going to pick the type that is most appropriate and practical to fabricate for the job.

Most customers don't have a good eye for type. Many pick the prettiest (and impossible to manufacture) script or display face:
"Can I use Poppl Residenz script on my sign?"
"Sure...if we can make your channel letters 10' tall."

Just because a font can be printed on some paper doesn't mean you can use that to make a sign.

And then there's the issue of legibility. The type doesn't necessarily require the viewing distance capability of ClearviewHwy. But some type is best confined to wedding invitations.

threeputt

Wow! Just wanted to add my voice to this. I agree having your fonts and clipart organized is a HUGE timesaver for the graphic designer. Should be done as soon as possible. I'm going to visit the sites mentioned. I have done a hap hazard effort in this area. It works, but not the best method.

Letting the client see it? My experience is that that has the propensity to exponentially increase the time you'll be at the counter. And, as others have already stated, you may end up making a sign with your name on it, but one that you're not entirely proud of.

When we sell RTA lettering, we have a styles chart on the wall. I've boiled our font list down to about 70 styles. Some casual, some formal, headline text, scripts, blocks, and some novelty fonts. We tell them that they can pick from that list. If they want to specify a particular font, we charge a flat rate of $10.00 to locate and load their "pet" font. That isn't much of a fee, but believe it or not, it usually discourages them and they pick a font from our list. If they in fact do want it, it gives us a little something for our time.

Just my $.02.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Fred Weiss said:
Bob ... is that you Bob?

No, I don't have a counter. But were I in possession of one, those certainly would be my sentiments.

As a generaly rule, don't let anyone choose anything or have any choice at all in anything that you possibly can avoid letting them have. Things run much smoother both for you and for them and much better work is produced.

Techman

IF you really need thumbnails of your art.. Photoshop has a uitility
file/automate/contactsheetII that will do it for you very well. I reidid a few of my art catalogs beause the included manuals were severly lacking.