• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Cnc purchase options

Chosen23

One man shop
So in the early 2000’s I had a Gerber 408 had it for 12 yrs an had no issues during that time. My business changed an I ended up selling the router. Now many years later my business changed direction again and looking to repurchase one again. Question is do I try to find the same one I had at that age will it still be good enough, I was looking into some of these kits AVID CNC but you have to build it and there using steeper motors not the lead screw I am not sure if that machine will be adequate. I will not be routing every single day but when I do I want reliability. I have a budget of around 16-18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SignEST

Whatever you decide on buying, make sure it has an automatic tool changer with at least 6 tools. That way you can leave the machine unsupervised (don't tell me I told you this) and do other work. What you are cutting is what really matters. If you want to do non-ferrous metals without wearing down your machine then you should get one with cast iron frame. Extrusion frame machines will do the trick but you need to be a lot more careful with the feeds and speeds.

How much floor space do you have? Are you going to run a vacuum pump? It will be noisy AF and needs space. Then the dust extraction system as well. Are you including that in the budget?

johnnysigns

So in the early 2000’s I had a Gerber 408 had it for 12 yrs an had no issues during that time. My business changed an I ended up selling the router. Now many years later my business changed direction again and looking to repurchase one again. Question is do I try to find the same one I had at that age will it still be good enough, I was looking into some of these kits AVID CNC but you have to build it and there using steeper motors not the lead screw I am not sure if that machine will be adequate. I will not be routing every single day but when I do I want reliability. I have a budget of around 16-18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a used 408 in North NJ if you want to look at it. Machine came offline in working condition. We upgraded to a new machine with options that better suit our current products.

FORSUNCNC

Which is better, stepper vs servo motors? when powering a CNC machine tool, the heart and soul of the machine tool depend on the motor. The speed, accuracy, and precision of the CNC router machine all depend on the size and type of the motor. The two main categories of motors used in CNC machines are stepper motors and servo motors.

Stepper motors versus servo motors are a very popular topic, and you will find excellent arguments for these two systems. In fact, if the CNC machine tool is designed correctly, both types of motors can work well.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We bought a MultiCam router in 2001. Still running today. We did have to replace the spindle a while ago and we changed the mister system from syphon to pump. The only thing we regretted was the table size; we bought a 50"x100" and wish we'd bought the 5'x10' equivalent.