• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Software programs

zigns62

I got that itchy hand feeling for a CNC router set up. Question on the software. How hard is to to operate and learn the software. I know Adobe, Corel and others will this help me on how to set up the cutting program for the CNC? I'm still looking around.
:notworthy:
Thanks for your Input

The learning curve can be quite steep. If you are accustomed to Adobe & Corel, your easiest avenue will be via Cadlink or SAI packages (I prefer Cadlink). This would keep you from having to spend lots of time learning the usual CAD and CAM programs.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I don't know that the learning curve will be that bad. Everyone learns programs at different rate.

I have a Gerber Router, and I use the Artpath software. Its all pretty much point and click. The trick is to doule check your rout paths prior to sending to the router.

I have also used Enroute, years ago.

Are you thinking of a router with 3-d? I personallly don't have any experience with those.

zigns62

For right now I just want to do Sentra,foam letters and MDF lettering, as I learn more I like to get into the 3D.

SebastienL

I use Type 3, but then again, I do "3D" stuff. You might want to shop around for software. You want to consider what type of work you want to do with your router first. And get the appropriate software. I know there are a lot of shareware type applications out there, so you don't have to spend a lot of money for software.

On the other hand, if you know illustrator, your halfway there. I do all my layouts in Illy, save my files as .eps and import them in Type 3. Illy can export in dxf and dwg , wich are standard "cad" files that can be open by all cad or cam software.

As for programming itself, the process usually consist of associating an operation (cut, pocket, drill...) to a vector path (be it from autocad or illy) with a particular tool with associated feeds & speeds.

It gets a bit more complicated with 3D stuff.

:Canada 2:

Techman

very steep learning curve,, and you will spend money on training. And you will have a few head crashes thta will cost you as well. Its not may,, its ,, you will.

Good luck..

simso

I have a home made cnc router, and have tried out numerous programs, the best and easiest is a program called vcrave from vetric, if you want to do 3d modelling then vcraves aspire package, "not cheap though the aspire package".

Vcarve allows you to import draw trace merge weld you name it and ouput directly to the machine

Highly recommended

simso

Here she be, home built with a 1/2 router fitted

Attachments

• Complete view 2.JPG
    Complete view 2.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Complete assy cnc.JPG
    Complete assy cnc.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Enclosed under bench running.JPG
    Enclosed under bench running.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Cnc with 4th axis.jpg
    Cnc with 4th axis.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 144

J.D. Iles

I would take a serious look at ShopBot. It is the router we have (Lincoln Sign Company) and it is a great balance between a "do-it-yourself" router and a really, really expensive router.

If I needed another router, and God came to the door and said I could have any router I wanted for free, I would get another ShopBot.

The other thing that is great is they have so many software options (including software that is included WITH the router when you buy it)

Take a look,

J.D. Iles
www.signsneversleep.com
====================================

econolinesigns

We've had a AXYZ router for just over 10 years. Never had to purchase a service contract. As a matter of fact, AXYZ discouraged us from doing so, telling us we could call them anytime and that they would figure out what was wrong, then send us the parts to change. To this day, they have been true to their word. No major problems and we can still pick the telephone up and get support to any question or problem. These are built to last. We have the 4008 model and it has done everything we have ever needed it to do. Their website is: http://www.axyz.com/

Last edited:

3dsignco

My shopbot is over 8 years old now and still works great.. I just overhauled it last year with a new Controller box. The newer Gecko drives.. We use AC. Very steep learning curve. There are some other programs out there that are good and Lot less priced and will do just about everything you want. If your just going to do Cutouts the stock software that comes with the SB is good.

We are finally gonna build a new table for ours and I am going to make into a 5x10 machine.

Gotta say, we love our ShopBot! My husband has worked on several CNC tables that were MUCH more expensive, and he likes the ShopBot best and hasn't had any real problems with it.

As far as software goes, there is going to be a learning curve no matter what you get, but as long as you are willing to put in some time and effort--owning a table that works like it should is worth it's weight in gold.

If you ever want to talk more about CNC tables & software, feel free to shoot Larry an email at design@blueridgefabrication.com and he will be more than happy to share his experiences with the different tables/programs he has worked with.

Jessica

synergy_jim

we have a multicam w/ the vision registration system and 8 tool changer. Do not underestimate the value and time savings of a tool changer....

It runs with enroute cam software and I absolutely love it!

if we stay on pace, we'll do enough business with this thing to pay for it in 6 months!!!!

jlperez2k8

I got that itchy hand feeling for a CNC router set up. Question on the software. How hard is to to operate and learn the software. I know Adobe, Corel and others will this help me on how to set up the cutting program for the CNC? I'm still looking around.
:notworthy:
Thanks for your Input
If you know Adobe Illustrator it will be ease for you. I'm uning illustrator and Enroute 4

encadtech

VCarve from vectric is the easiest way to go. You will be cutting in 15 minutes if you follow the tutorials. Having built my machine as well- I am running Mach3 for the CGODE engine and use Vcarve, Cut3d, and Photocarve. This is alot easier than running Enroute. I also use VIACAD3D to create my 3D .stl files to carve my 3D objects. Happy cuttin