• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coating over white washed cedar...

signecbaum

I am putting together a carved cedar sign for a client who wants a whitewash finish on the face of the sign. I have been told by some 'old school' sign painters to only use varnish for coating wood (that is not already sealed with paint) but I do not want the yellow tint of varnish over the whitewash. Looking for some guidance on products and process.

Thank you

TammieH

Inside or outside? Water based whitewash? Acrylic varnishes dry clear...I would ask the professionals at the paint store.

We use to Varnish and use Polyurethanes a lot back in the 70's and 80's, we experimented a lot with stained wood outdoor signs and like old wooden
boats, they had to be refinished every 2 years, this was in Ohio.

studio 440

Inside or outside? Water based whitewash? Acrylic varnishes dry clear...I would ask the professionals at the paint store.

We use to Varnish and use Polyurethanes a lot back in the 70's and 80's, we experimented a lot with stained wood outdoor signs and like old wooden
boats, they had to be refinished every 2 years, this was in Ohio.

Johnny Best

AwlGrip makes a polyester urethane clear topcoat named Awlwood which will last a long time outdoors, mainly used for the boating industry because of the harsh conditions they are in.
Two part mixture and they have a reducer that helps with flow if you are applying with brush or roller.
If you are in the New Orleans area I am sure their will be a marine supply that carries it.

Billct2

Do they want a weathered look? Sounds like it. In which case I would just apply a clear penetrating preservative (after testing to see if it changes the white wash color). If they want a more finished look then the two part marine clear is the best bet. In either case it will require maintenance.