• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

COLEX Sharpcut vs MULTICAM Digital Express

HulkSmash

We're buying one of the two machines listed in the title.

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? Any pros or cons about any of them?

The setups are pretty much identical with Mutlicam being about 25k more.

thank for your time.

Emd2kick

We have a colex, great machine. Can't tell you anything about the multicam, but if you have specific colex questions ask away.

Robert Gruner

ColoradoSigns,

Both fine finishing cutters. You might consder looking at the Summa America F Series flat bed cutters before making a final decision. I believe you will find the Summa cutters provide equal to or better performance at a better price than both Colex or MultiCAM. You might consider delaying your purchase decision until after the SGIA Show in Las Vegas next month; and, consider attending the show and asking for benchmark cuts on all three cutters.

Bob

Emd2kick

If you need to route, the summa is not the answer. Not high powered enough, and max thickness is 1"....brutal.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Firstly, What are you looking to accomplish with this machine? After buying a flatbed cutter/router last year we really discovered something very important. If you want to do everything you really need 2 machines and not 1, The summas, eskos, zunds, etc are all great "cutters" but suck for routing, the Colex, multicams, axyz, etc are all great routers and decent cutters. We are finding if space allows a separate workflow for knife cutting and router bit cutting is going to be ideal so you can offer the highest quality and speed vs a combo unit.

Now for your original question, we originally eliminated Multicam after speaking with 3 shops in AZ that have horrible service issues from them. We were originally set on the colex due to lots of great reviews but settled on something else due to an 8-10 month lead time at the time we were looking. Both machines do well but as you probably already know service is king in this industry as the machines will always have failures.

HulkSmash

Firstly, What are you looking to accomplish with this machine? After buying a flatbed cutter/router last year we really discovered something very important. If you want to do everything you really need 2 machines and not 1, The summas, eskos, zunds, etc are all great "cutters" but suck for routing, the Colex, multicams, axyz, etc are all great routers and decent cutters. We are finding if space allows a separate workflow for knife cutting and router bit cutting is going to be ideal so you can offer the highest quality and speed vs a combo unit.

Now for your original question, we originally eliminated Multicam after speaking with 3 shops in AZ that have horrible service issues from them. We were originally set on the colex due to lots of great reviews but settled on something else due to an 8-10 month lead time at the time we were looking. Both machines do well but as you probably already know service is king in this industry as the machines will always have failures.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up going with?

also thanks for all the information.

Bly

Our Zund routes just fine. We spend some days just routing ACM.

nate

The summas, eskos, zunds, etc are all great "cutters" but suck for routing,

I wouldn't agree with this statement for the Zund. My Zund with the 1kW spindle is good enough for most sign related things. The 3.6kW is good at practically all things. They also have the lubrication system for aluminum as well as an automatic bit changer. It's a pretty solid package.

The Multicam Digital Express is essentially a router with cutting tools. it's, in my opinion, not for the faint of heart. It's why we sold it off and got a Zund.

HulkSmash

I wouldn't agree with this statement for the Zund. My Zund with the 1kW spindle is good enough for most sign related things. The 3.6kW is good at practically all things. They also have the lubrication system for aluminum as well as an automatic bit changer. It's a pretty solid package.

The Multicam Digital Express is essentially a router with cutting tools. it's, in my opinion, not for the faint of heart. It's why we sold it off and got a Zund.

Nate. We're getting a zund quote in the morning, But the original quote i got was like 220k, about 100k more than the multicam.. just trying to justify that cost, they said they're going to reconfigure it a bit and bring it down.. so we'll see.

nate

Nate. We're getting a zund quote in the morning, But the original quote i got was like 220k, about 100k more than the multicam.. just trying to justify that cost, they said they're going to reconfigure it a bit and bring it down.. so we'll see.

Take a couple of your guys and have them use the software. Let them set it up and run it. See how quick the machine can change tools and how it works with whatever RIP you're going to output cut files from.

Superior_Adam

I researched all sorts of cutters/routers and went with a Zund. Yes they are expensive but they will do everything and do everything good. We route all sorts of stuff and have done up to 1" acrylic. On acrylic we go straight from route to flame polish with no steps in between and get a perfect edge. They do have a diamond polishing bit for acrylic but have not gone that far. As far as cutting we cut paper, vinyl, foam and have never had an issue. We had the machine installed 2 years ago and have not had a service call yet. We spoke with a lot of large shops that are running multiple Zund cutters and said they are workhorses.

Robert Gruner

Colorado,

Lots of good posts!
2CT nailed it, <<Now firstly, what are you looking to accomplish with this machine?>>
That is the $64K Question!

If routing material thicker than 1 inch or thick metal substrates, then Summa is not in consideration. On the other hand, a Summa F1832 (6' x 10') table includes a conveyor system with 6 pneumatic media clamps, and the capability to kisscut and die cut pvc roll material, cut fabric up to 72" wide, cut and crease cardboard and other sign making rigid substrates. Summa offers the option of 2 different Routing Modules: Kress Router capable of routing most all sign store substrates or a High Frequency Router (50K RPM Spindle Speed).

I would encourage you to compare the price of such a system to Colex, MultiCAM, Zund, or Esko. Create a benchmark cut on what ever material you expect to cut the most. Go look at ALL the systems at SGIA, Stop by the Summa America booth and see our products work.

Bob

parrott

We have had our Colex for about 2 years now and are pretty happy with it. We run it very hard (mainly routing) for two shifts, 80+ hours a week. We have had several things need to be replaced, but that is to be expected with the amount of through put we do. The software is glitchy and we had a bit of a learning curve that I was not expecting. Now we have three operators trained up that can really make this machine fly.

I feel like it does a great job cutting, creasing, routing, etc., no complaints there. Service has been great and have been able to remotely walk us through any issues. My only complaint is the software. As mentioned above, it is very buggy and takes some getting used to. I have no real world experience with ESKO, Zund or Multicam to compare to. I would definitely buy again and are even debating on buying a second one.

One last note. If you are doing a lot of routing, I would not recommend the conveyor table. We have to change our cutting mat frequently and would imagine that could get expensive with the conveyor option.

Robert Gruner

parrot,

The Conveyor Belt is standard with the Summa cutters. The router module includes a roll of router mat material that overlays the conveyor belt. The automatic depth control keeps users from cutting thru the cutting mat and into the belt. The Summa design of their flatbed cutters is very nice. The units have been built in Belgium and sold in Europe for 9 years where they compete quite favorably against Zund and Esko. Their market penetration in NA the past 8 years was slowed due to the fact that Summa Inc only sold the product direct and coverage of all NA for a flatbed was difficult. Summa America's penetration into the NA market the past year has been enhanced by the fact that the flatbeds are now sold by an excellent group of authorized sales and service resellers geographically loacted around the US.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I guess what I said was misconstrued. All of these machines can cut well with a router, not the issues I was stating. When I consider CNC Routing, that includes Z-axis control which Zund, Esko, Summa, etc do not have! so they are purely cutting machines. Yes, you can make layers files and etc but you don't have full control to make shaped, curved, beveled, etc signs.

The next important factor is software, if not the most important factor. Take our purchase the iEcho. It's a great machine but software sucks and is incredibly clunky and inefficient. I would spend most of the evaluation time running the software to see what works for your crew in a high load situation.

Sorry If I offended anyone with my previous answer, I was just trying to explain our shops thoughts on the machines. We are currently looking at the Summa F Series paired with a dedicated 2.5D HEavy Duty Router like a Laguna, biesse, camaster, etc.

parrott

I completely understand what your saying and agree. We do not do dimensional signage, and if it were our core business the Colex would not be the right machine for us. Can it do dimensional signage? Yes, but so can a hammer and a chisel.

I also agree about evaluating the software. Buy what your team is most comfortable using.

Definitely going to check out the Summa in Vegas. Sounds like its on the up!

Christian @ 2CT Media

No Z axis control? Looks like all you need is Enroute or Artcam.

That's new to me! We have been talking with Zund and Oce about their machines, and all the reps we talk to say it can't be done on their machines. Now I need to do more research and put Zund back on my list

Megagrafix

President
We have a Colex and are happy with every aspect. Zund if you can afford it, Colex with 3 hp motor and save 100 grand+. BTW, no need for the transport belt. Those would be my choices.

axelmk

We installed our Colex (5x10) 4 months ago and it works like a charm. I am not sure how we survived without it...
it has made us 4 or 5 times more efficient besides opening new market possibilities.