• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Management on Monitor help please...

RiXaX

We send our digital printing out to be done and I'd like to find a simple means of having the color I see on screen and what comes back from the printer a bit tighter than it is. If I select a PMS color chip in Flexi, I'd like it to look close to the chip in the fan deck. Is there an easy and inexpensive way to accomplish this?

SignAnnex

If you outsource the prints, I would suggest explaining your expectations to the printer. Color matching issues are fairly common for digital printing. There are a lot of variables involved. Someone with a good understanding of the process and decent equipment should be able to reproduce satisfactory results. If the colors are really far off I would suggest finding someone new to do your prints.

S'N'S

Free bump as I'm also interested.

I have been looking at various monitor colour calibration tools and I'm wondering about others experiences with these tools
Spyder 3 Pro
Pantone Huey pro
Eye-one

RiXaX

Are there any free and simple programs that are basic enough to not require a huge time investment to get screen colors more accurate?

S'N'S

Are there any free and simple programs that are basic enough to not require a huge time investment to get screen colors more accurate?

I don't think there is, I could be wrong. I've got 4 LCD, 2 LED monitors and a laptop and every one of them will show colours differently, very frustrating.
I use my Pantone chart to select the colours I need (I also out souce all my printing)

toli13

The only way to get accurate colours on your screen is calibration and profiling. You need a combination of hard- and software. And, of course, a monitor whith a sufficient gamut. (I would recommend something like an Eizo ColorEdge with colorimeter and dedicated software included.) That means a more or less huge investment, not only in that hard- and software. Also in knowledge. I suggest to look for someone from a servie bureau who can do this profiling job for you. Even if you have to pay a few bucks from time to time to recalibrate your monitor, it will be less than doing all by yourself. But be aware, that this service guy possibly tells you, that your monitor is not suitable for correct calibration because of its limitations.
Next step is to look for a supplier for your digital prints who has consequent colour management applied to all steps of production. Ask him for that and which profiles he wants in your files. I spend a lot of time to profile all medias I use, to produce perfect colours for my clients. So, if your monitor shows correct colours, you can fine tune your images may be in ps, safe them with an included profile and your print supplier should do the rest. Don't know how it's in the US, but here in Germany are a lot of cheap digital printing companies on the market which don't care about colour management and correct profiled media.
Tilo