• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

color profiling lessons

apex

i am new to this printing business and i have noticed a few times that my colors have been off and i cant seem to understand hot to fix them.
is there any place that offers training for color profiling and spot colors and just about everything i need to know about colors in order to get the best colored and quality prints?

eye4clr

A good start would hopefully be your dealer. But that's less likely than it should be.

Start with a good foundation of striving to use media profiles in your RIP that are actually for your printer/media/rip combination. That should improve the output aspect reasonably well.

Second, make sure your design applications have the Working Space profiles setup to sRGB and US Web Coated SWOP. Then have your RIP's input profiles setup to match. This should take care of 99% input problems.

Learn to adjust colors in CMYK -and- RGB. There are lots of books on editing color. Dan Margulis (spelling?) has many excellent books but is very CMYK centered. Never the less, he provides some excellent tools.

This is a VERY superficial list but at least some kind of direction on what can be an endless endeavor.

sjm

Second, make sure your design applications have the Working Space profiles setup to sRGB and US Web Coated SWOP. Then have your RIP's input profiles setup to match. This should take care of 99% input problems.

Why not just set your RIP to use the embedded profile? Why worry about input profiles?

apex

A good start would hopefully be your dealer. But that's less likely than it should be.

Start with a good foundation of striving to use media profiles in your RIP that are actually for your printer/media/rip combination. That should improve the output aspect reasonably well.

Learn to adjust colors in CMYK -and- RGB. There are lots of books on editing color. Dan Margulis (spelling?) has many excellent books but is very CMYK centered. Never the less, he provides some excellent tools.

This is a VERY superficial list but at least some kind of direction on what can be an endless endeavor.

well here is what i dont understand
my sp300v is CYMK
i love working with rgb, i tried finding an rgb profile in signlabs but i cant find one. i use adobe to design and was trying to even export my adobe profiles and import them into signlabs

i looked for ones to download and i cant find any
i just figured since the printer is cymk that printing rgb is out of the question

so in adobe i should be setting i have rgb workspace to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and cymk to US WEB COATED(SWOP) v2
what does the gray and spot values mean they are both showing dot gain 20%

should i save this color setting from adobe and import it into signlabs?

eye4clr

nice to see you on here eye4clr.
eye4clr is the man!
Aw shucks. Thanks.

Why not just set your RIP to use the embedded profile? Why worry about input profiles?
Because most rips won't see embedded profiles in all file types. Usually they'll only recognize embedded profiles in tiffs only. This leaves all your other file types to default to the configured input profiles in the rip. Or worse yet, it may leave the other file types to default to some random input profile that jacks the color.

I just had this happen with a color client I'd recently made some profiles for. I set them up with proper Quicksets in Onyx to run the custom medias I'd setup. They called a week later saying the color was all off and the canned profiles were giving better results. This is about the worst thing you could say to the guy that setup the custom profiles! I dropped everything and gave them a visit to find they had their inputs set to use embedded profiles in the default Quickset. They had forgotten (or were ignoring) my instructions to simply run jobs through the Quickset for the medias I'd setup. All we had to do was run the job through the right workflow and they were back on track and using 25-35% less ink.

well here is what i dont understand
my sp300v is CYMK
i love working with rgb, i tried finding an rgb profile in signlabs but i cant find one.
You pose a perfectly logical point. It doesn't make sense that you can have an rgb file output correctly on a CMYK printer. This was the mantra for years. RGB is for web only and all print work should be designed as CMYK. No exceptions!

Then along came broad implementation of ICC profiles. They're used all through your workflow whether you know it (or use it) or not. These ICC profiles are a tool to communicate color through the steps of your workflow. They allow color to be accurately maintained by referencing the superficial RGB or CMYK references to color to another (behind the scenes) color space call LAB. This all happens within tables in the ICC profiles without you having to bother with the details.

So it really is very simple once you know the mechanics. Say you have your happy sRGB Working Space file. You can use this for the web straight away with no conversion. But when it comes time to print, something, somewhere has to "map" those colors to CMYK. Not just any old random CMYK, but CMYK values for your printer/RIP/media/setting combination. This is usually the role your RIP plays with the media profile. Know that an ICC profile is one part of the larger package of a media profile. The ICC maps the color within the rigid parameters of the ink set, resolution, printer settings, and media combination defined in the media profile. From a strict color geek perspective, you can't deviate from any of these settings without the color accuracy suffering.

So, one of your RIP's jobs is to convert your sRGB file to custom CMYK values to output your color accurately for you system. Good responsible media manufacturers offer profiles for their most popular medias, in the most popular rips, for the most popular printers. If you're using something that's old, obscure, or a system that doesn't use icc profiles, the manufacturer will not likely have a media profile for you. I know nothing about Signlab. But I don't think it implements an ICC workflow very well or at all. I'm sure there is someone here who can better answer this specifically.

As far as liking RGB, carry on. You're actually a little bit better off compared to working in CMYK. But you can get excellent color from either if you've got your workflow setup correctly. Most people tend to feel more comfortable with RGB or CMYK. So work with whatever makes your more efficient and effective.

eye4clr

If you'd like to get serious about color, hire a consultant to train you for a couple of days.

digitaldog has been at it for a long time and is fully capable. Another suggestion is Marc Aguilera from ColorCritical.com. I've worked with Marc at the Graphic Intelligence Agency, Gretag Macbeth and X-Rite training services. He's great to work with, has the technology down, and can dramatically improve your whole system in just a couple of days.

Whoever you hire, expect to pay several thousands of dollars for 2 days of training. If you're just getting started and cash is short, maybe hold off a bit. But don't just look at the cost, balance this against the return. For a busy shop, they'd recoup these few thousand dollars in weeks or months.

apex

Aw shucks. Thanks.

Because most rips won't see embedded profiles in all file types. Usually they'll only recognize embedded profiles in tiffs only. This leaves all your other file types to default to the configured input profiles in the rip. Or worse yet, it may leave the other file types to default to some random input profile that jacks the color.

I just had this happen with a color client I'd recently made some profiles for. I set them up with proper Quicksets in Onyx to run the custom medias I'd setup. They called a week later saying the color was all off and the canned profiles were giving better results. This is about the worst thing you could say to the guy that setup the custom profiles! I dropped everything and gave them a visit to find they had their inputs set to use embedded profiles in the default Quickset. They had forgotten (or were ignoring) my instructions to simply run jobs through the Quickset for the medias I'd setup. All we had to do was run the job through the right workflow and they were back on track and using 25-35% less ink.

You pose a perfectly logical point. It doesn't make sense that you can have an rgb file output correctly on a CMYK printer. This was the mantra for years. RGB is for web only and all print work should be designed as CMYK. No exceptions!

Then along came broad implementation of ICC profiles. They're used all through your workflow whether you know it (or use it) or not. These ICC profiles are a tool to communicate color through the steps of your workflow. They allow color to be accurately maintained by referencing the superficial RGB or CMYK references to color to another (behind the scenes) color space call LAB. This all happens within tables in the ICC profiles without you having to bother with the details.

So it really is very simple once you know the mechanics. Say you have your happy sRGB Working Space file. You can use this for the web straight away with no conversion. But when it comes time to print, something, somewhere has to "map" those colors to CMYK. Not just any old random CMYK, but CMYK values for your printer/RIP/media/setting combination. This is usually the role your RIP plays with the media profile. Know that an ICC profile is one part of the larger package of a media profile. The ICC maps the color within the rigid parameters of the ink set, resolution, printer settings, and media combination defined in the media profile. From a strict color geek perspective, you can't deviate from any of these settings without the color accuracy suffering.

So, one of your RIP's jobs is to convert your sRGB file to custom CMYK values to output your color accurately for you system. Good responsible media manufacturers offer profiles for their most popular medias, in the most popular rips, for the most popular printers. If you're using something that's old, obscure, or a system that doesn't use icc profiles, the manufacturer will not likely have a media profile for you. I know nothing about Signlab. But I don't think it implements an ICC workflow very well or at all. I'm sure there is someone here who can better answer this specifically.

As far as liking RGB, carry on. You're actually a little bit better off compared to working in CMYK. But you can get excellent color from either if you've got your workflow setup correctly. Most people tend to feel more comfortable with RGB or CMYK. So work with whatever makes your more efficient and effective.

ok thanx for response.

infact i have not tried printing from rgb file yet, i was printing a cymk file out of photoshop and the colors got all jerked.

can i output or save mt color settings from adobe and input them into signlabs so they have the same color profiles?

sjm

Aw shucks. Thanks.

Wait's for more BS. If a RIP recognizes an embedded profile in a TIFF what's the point of a RIP?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Seriously beginning to think sjm is a troll of some sort or another... or he is the master of all things sign-related and just doesn't deign to let us mere mortals know all his secrets.

There's probably no right answer for him, eye4clr... and let me add my "welcome back"

Neil

ok thanx for response.

infact i have not tried printing from rgb file yet, i was printing a cymk file out of photoshop and the colors got all jerked.

can i output or save mt color settings from adobe and input them into signlabs so they have the same color profiles?

Hi Apex,
The first problem is that Signlab doesn't support CMYK images (bitmap, tiff etc). They get converted to RGB on import. This usually has a big effect on the colours straight away. Purples turn blue etc.
So you need to design in RGB in Photoshop.

You can assign the same sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile as your input profile in both your working space (on screen viewing) and in the rip.

Look under Options/Signlab Setup/Colour management/image/RGB/Browse...

Look in your windows icm folder for that profile and assign it to RGB Vectors and RGB images.
Likewise you can setup USWeb for the CMYK inputs.
Also assign your monitor profile while you're there.
And choose Printer proofing and use printmode's icc.

Then you should change the input profiles in the printmode to match, but that's another story...

sjm

Are you kidding, ignorant, or trolling? I don't understand what you're asking.

Let's discuss host based color management before you single out anyone as a troll ok?

Though I suspect colour is just a subjective thing to you.

I am sure Neil will prove you wrong.

Neil

Hey don't bring me into your stupid mudslinging attempts.

The little bits I do know can mostly be credited to eye4clr who has for years been patiently and generously giving advice to anyone keen enough to show an interest.
His knowledge is beyond reproach.

You should learn to shut up and stop trying to turn everything into an argument and you just might learn something too.
Honestly sjm, you are a serial pest.

marcsitkin

A couple good books on the subject of color managment:

Understanding Color Management, Abhay Sharma Thomson pub.
Real World Color Managment, Fraser, Murphy and Bunting, Peachpit press.

eye4clr

A couple good books on the subject of color managment:

Understanding Color Management, Abhay Sharma Thomson pub.
Real World Color Managment, Fraser, Murphy and Bunting, Peachpit press.

I"ve never seen the ABhay Sharma Thomson book, but the Real World Color Management book is en excellent general knowledge source.

Sometimes it is still hard to bridge the general knowledge with how to setup your specific RIP. But as with most things in life, solid fundamentals go a long way.

eye4clr

Let's discuss host based color management before you single out anyone as a troll ok?

Though I suspect colour is just a subjective thing to you.

I am sure Neil will prove you wrong.

I'm totally mystified by your hostility. If you'd like to discuss host based color management, or anything else that is not a part of OP's topic, start your own thread. I'm happy to participate (as long as you make some crumb of sense with your writing).

marcsitkin

I"ve never seen the ABhay Sharma Thomson book, but the Real World Color Management book is en excellent general knowledge source.

Sometimes it is still hard to bridge the general knowledge with how to setup your specific RIP. But as with most things in life, solid fundamentals go a long way.

I was at the Color Management Conference in Phoenix a couple years ago and won it in a contest. I was the only guy (probably only guy old enough) to know why Mac's native gammas was 1.8 and not 2.2

The book is clear and well written, and perhaps a little easier for a newbie to get through than RWCM.