• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color Rendering Of Reverse Channel Letters?

signbrad

Sometimes I like to make a rendering of reverse channel letters that shows not only the daytime view but also the view at night of the halo effect characteristic of reverse channel letters. I have a crude way of doing this in Signlab 9.1 using a series of transparent outlines, but I would like a little more realism on occasion.

Does anyone else have a method for showing the halo lighting look of reverse channels?

Brad in Kansas City

Z SIGNS

We this in corel using the drop shadow tool

Attachments

• halo.jpg
    halo.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 414

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
This probably is overkill for what you're looking for, but we use our CAD software (Sketchup Pro) and create renders with lighting effects applied to show halos and such for our clients to preview their exhibits in the proposal phase.

Attachments

• Kiosk2.jpg
    Kiosk2.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 356
  • NASS16_0590-without-editing.jpg
    NASS16_0590-without-editing.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Bastille_RSA_Conference15_V3-Reduced.pdf
    768.5 KB · Views: 242

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
There is a free version of SketchUp if I am not mistaken.

Yes there is, but you need the Pro version with premium plugins to do the lighting effects and renderings. Steep learning curve to do all the fancy stuff. I use the free version at work and our engineer owner and production manager use the Pro version.

visual800

I did this in illustrator using same daytime picture, placed black over pic and just transparented it to the right shade, outline around letters and blurred it. Not beautiful but it gave them an idea

Attachments

• AL TRUCKING.png
    AL TRUCKING.png
    760.8 KB · Views: 374

timgo

Graphics Designer
Sometimes I like to make a rendering of reverse channel letters that shows not only the daytime view but also the view at night of the halo effect characteristic of reverse channel letters. I have a crude way of doing this in Signlab 9.1 using a series of transparent outlines, but I would like a little more realism on occasion.

Does anyone else have a method for showing the halo lighting look of reverse channels?

Brad in Kansas City
Everything you need, is:

XARA 3D MAKER 7.0 (Win XP/ Vista/ 7,8,10)
3D graphics and animations are the perfect way to add impact to your website or video - and we guarantee there's no easier way to create them than Xara 3D Maker!

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. Download the Xara 3D Maker trial to your Desktop or other downloads folder
2. Run the installer file (double-click on it)
3. Follow the on-screen instructions
We recommend you stop any Registry protection utilities before attempting to install as they can prevent the application from installing correctly.
If you are running Windows XP you must log on to your PC using an Administrator account.

Download:
http://downloads.xara.com/downloads/software/xara3dmaker7dl.exe

OR,

Aurora 3D Text & Logo Maker (Win XP/ Vista/ 7,8,10)
Indulge your creative and artistic talents by using 3D Text, Logo, Icon and Animations! Quickly and efficiently design 3D Text Effects, Logo and Icons for the Web and your Movies. Then export your creations to Image, Video, Flash, GIF Animation and Image Sequences. Full compatibility with Photoshop, Illustrator, iMovie, Final Cut, Premiere and so on. Free Trial Offer!

Windows System Note: 1. If your graphics card don’t support FSAA, you may see some jagged at shapes edge. Don’t worry, use the “Export Image”, you can get the high quality pictures. 2. If you get c++ error information, Please install your computer graphics card driver, don’t use the windows default display adapter drivers.

Download:
http://www.aurora3dsoftware.com/downloads/Maker3D/Maker3D.exe

Last edited:

LINDA BERARD

Designing Signs Since 1978

Brad in Kansas City

Do you have CorelDraw? If so, there is a simple way to do it in Corel. 1) Start with a vector file of letters. Create a couple of copies. 2) Create thick black outline, no fill. 3) Copy/paste another outline on top of black outline, make that outline white and thinner. 4) Blend black and white outlines together. (5) Group blended outlines. (6) Take a copy of letters, fill with black and lay on top of blended outlines and group together. (7) Draw a black box for background and place art in box to see result. You will have to play with thickness of black outline at first, but once you have that figured out, the rest is simple. Note: If you use a different color for your background other than black, your first outline (the thick one) needs to match that color. Good luck!

signbrad

Do you have CorelDraw? If so, there is a simple way to do it in Corel. 1) Start with a vector file of letters. Create a couple of copies. 2) Create thick black outline, no fill. 3) Copy/paste another outline on top of black outline, make that outline white and thinner. 4) Blend black and white outlines together. (5) Group blended outlines. (6) Take a copy of letters, fill with black and lay on top of blended outlines and group together. (7) Draw a black box for background and place art in box to see result. You will have to play with thickness of black outline at first, but once you have that figured out, the rest is simple. Note: If you use a different color for your background other than black, your first outline (the thick one) needs to match that color. Good luck!
Thanks, Linda. I will try that, too.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I mostly use Illustrator...
This was done with a drop shadow, outer glow, a layer to simulate night time... this sign shows dual-lit - animated in Photoshop

eddie-mate.gif