• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colour profiling and calibration

wonderings

We are looking to get our printers profiled so we can have some colour constancy. We have 2 Epson R5070's and a SwissQ Impala 4. I come from a commercial print background, somewhat new to wide format and signage in which our shop is now focused on. I remember some years ago when we bought an Epson wide format printer we had a company come in that specialized in colour and calibration. This was many many years ago and I can't remember the name. Does anyone know any companies in Ontario Canada that help setup equipment to get them in line colour wise? We would be looking at calibration equipment after, but for now trying to get the foundation set right and then search for a simple and easy calibration method.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I'd be looking at someone who can tell you what kit to buy, integrate it to your rip software, and can train you/team to use it. Getting three machines in line is a few days work/training, if you want top notch results (Impala4).

Not local, but same continent - Scott Martin

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
for now trying to get the foundation set right
Without quoting your entire post, I'll make a few points and draw a few analogies which I hope will help...

1) The foundation should begin with key staff being confident and so skilled that they can recite from memory the 3 primary colors of human vision, RGB, along with the opposite secondary colors, CMY, most preferably in that exact order. When one observes a print that might be too red, the remedy is to either add cyan or reduce yellow and magenta. Knowing such is as important as intrinsically understanding a simple compass or 6 strings on a guitar. It should be easy for one to realize from the sun or their shadow which direction they might be headed or when a musical instrument might be out of tune. So goes printing with color.

2) Especially X-rite's licensing agreement prohibits most remote profiling. If you don't have a license, on-site visits are required by licensees, hence Scott Martin's On-Sight and Roy Bohnen's Color Onsite service, etc.

So, without the fundamental mentioned earlier, it's very likely the vast majority of instruction from a color management site visit will be lost. Your situation is somewhat like a 3 piece performance band with some impressive gear but there isn't a tuning device to be had and no one is experienced enough to tune by ear. If you call somebody over to tune everything, how long might you imagine that single effort will last? You will need your own tuning device soon enough. You're already performing, right?

3) The recommendation is to invest in the hardware and software and spend a couple of weeks or so with real effort and study. Surely there will be failure but maybe also some success. Then call in the CM expert because you will be closer to understanding and can better benefit from the experience.

4) Know that you will use the hardware and software every few days or more to track calibration across your machines. Routine calibration is relatively quick compared to actually generating profiles.

Good luck!

wonderings

Without quoting your entire post, I'll make a few points and draw a few analogies which I hope will help...

1) The foundation should begin with key staff being confident and so skilled that they can recite from memory the 3 primary colors of human vision, RGB, along with the opposite secondary colors, CMY, most preferably in that exact order. When one observes a print that might be too red, the remedy is to either add cyan or reduce yellow and magenta. Knowing such is as important as intrinsically understanding a simple compass or 6 strings on a guitar. It should be easy for one to realize from the sun or their shadow which direction they might be headed or when a musical instrument might be out of tune. So goes printing with color.

2) Especially X-rite's licensing agreement prohibits most remote profiling. If you don't have a license, on-site visits are required by licensees, hence Scott Martin's On-Sight and Roy Bohnen's Color Onsite service, etc.

So, without the fundamental mentioned earlier, it's very likely the vast majority of instruction from a color management site visit will be lost. Your situation is somewhat like a 3 piece performance band with some impressive gear but there isn't a tuning device to be had and no one is experienced enough to tune by ear. If you call somebody over to tune everything, how long might you imagine that single effort will last? You will need your own tuning device soon enough. You're already performing, right?

3) The recommendation is to invest in the hardware and software and spend a couple of weeks or so with real effort and study. Surely there will be failure but maybe also some success. Then call in the CM expert because you will be closer to understanding and can better benefit from the experience.

4) Know that you will use the hardware and software every few days or more to track calibration across your machines. Routine calibration is relatively quick compared to actually generating profiles.

Good luck!

I completely agree with the analogy of a tuning instrument. I also understand we will need to be able to "tune" ourselves with the right tools after. This is all something we are looking to talk to a professional about to go about this the best way to achieve a balanced colour profile with all our devices as well as maintain that with calibration and the understanding of what to do to get it all back in when/should the colour wander. This is why I would like to find someone local, at least in the province to discuss, and get support as well as advice on what we should be looking for hardware and software wise.

Maybe I should connect direct with X-rite and see who they would recommend in the area. I was hoping to find some Canadians on this site who have gone through the same thing and could recommend a company to help us with this.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I completely agree with the analogy of a tuning instrument. I also understand we will need to be able to "tune" ourselves with the right tools after. This is all something we are looking to talk to a professional about to go about this the best way to achieve a balanced colour profile with all our devices as well as maintain that with calibration and the understanding of what to do to get it all back in when/should the colour wander. This is why I would like to find someone local, at least in the province to discuss, and get support as well as advice on what we should be looking for hardware and software wise.

Maybe I should connect direct with X-rite and see who they would recommend in the area. I was hoping to find some Canadians on this site who have gone through the same thing and could recommend a company to help us with this.

Contacting X-rite might be a good start like you mentioned, see if they have anyone they would recommend.

You could also talk to ND Graphics, we had Wissam (from ND) come to our shop for 2 days and help us build some profiles w/ our i1 in Onyx. We ended up spending/wasting almost a full day battling with printer drivers on one of the printers but otherwise was a worthwhile investment. They don't sell Epson or SwissQ print units but that shouldn't matter - you just need a tech that is familiar with creating custom profiles.

wonderings

Contacting X-rite might be a good start like you mentioned, see if they have anyone they would recommend.

You could also talk to ND Graphics, we had Wissam (from ND) come to our shop for 2 days and help us build some profiles w/ our i1 in Onyx. We ended up spending/wasting almost a full day battling with printer drivers on one of the printers but otherwise was a worthwhile investment. They don't sell Epson or SwissQ print units but that shouldn't matter - you just need a tech that is familiar with creating custom profiles.
Thanks! I did not think of touching base with ND regarding this. I might start with them as we order from them already.