• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

commercial door adjustment

binki

Our front door to our shop is a steel frame with glass in the center. The door works fine if it is opened all the way or most of the way. The problem is if it is only opened a third of the way or less it slams shut, hitting the person coming in.

There is no external closer to the door.

Any clues on adjusting this type of door?

1leonchen

if it is a chain hoist door, it means the spring needs adjusting don't even tinker with it. but if it is a motor operated door i can tell u how to do it. i been a commercial door installer for ten years. i know all the systems. post some pictures or the door.

binki

if it is a chain hoist door, it means the spring needs adjusting don't even tinker with it. but if it is a motor operated door i can tell u how to do it. i been a commercial door installer for ten years. i know all the systems. post some pictures or the door.

Will do when I get back over there. The closer is concealed inside the door frame. I will climb up and take some picks from the top and a video of it closing.

binki

no pics yet but the door is a vortex and has 3 screws on the inside top of the door frame. aluminum and glass door, concealed closer.

John L

Concealed closers 101-

The door you describe probably uses either a concealed header closer (inside the header frame) or a concealed floor closer. A header closer usually has a removable plate to access the 2 adjusting screws. A floor closer some times has 2 small holes right in the threshold for access to the adjustments but sometimes you need to remove the threshold (or part of the threshold) to access them. Open the door and look up or down right near the pivot (spindle) area.

If you see a single, slotted screw in the header close to the pivot area that IS NOT THE ADJUSTMENT. That is the way you retract the top pivot on some doors that use a floor closer. Dont turn that screw or you may drop the door on yourself. Netsearch "dorma walking beam" or to see an example of what I mean.

Once you get to the 2 adjustments... usually, gradually tightening one screw will slow the travel from approx 120deg to about 20deg or so. The other screw usually controls the latch speed (0-20deg +-).

SOME concealed closers dont work this way though. In those cases, one screw controls the entire swing and the other screw is a hold-open feature (holding the door open for delivery persons, etc when pushed out to about 90deg). If this is the case, your closer is probably worn out and you need a service man.

Removing and replacing a glass entrance door to access a closer is not an amateur project. These doors are heavy and can kill someone if they drop out of the frame onto someone while you are working or years afterwards. You can adjust it if you can find the screws, but most any other service is worth the investment in a glass entrance contractor. Dont let the door slam as you are adjusting it's speed, etc , etc All standard warnings apply.

binki

Thanks for the 411. There is a Vortex service about 20 miles away that offers free estimates. I will give them a call.

My guess is the closer needs replacement. It looks pretty gritty.

John L

Right on. If its gritty and oily it is probably leaking hyd fluid and is now ready for replacement. Most service companies that service these on the east coast do not quote though.. it is mostly billed as a time and material service so choose wisely. Glass companies can usually refer you to someone good.

If yours is an antique, most will suggest a full replacement but thats not necessarily always required if it is an old Rixson closer. These closers can last many decades if installed correctly. We installed Rixsons in a particular building that has the doors opened more than 2000 times daily, this was around 18 years ago. Still working great with a quick annual service check and adjustment.

PM me if you find you need a source for any old Rixson concealed closer, we have new Rixsons here in stock.

binki

Thanks. We are in a split building and the shop next to us has the same door. I will talk with the owner of that biz and maybe the service company will give us a deal on 2.