• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Compatibility of Windows 10 with Gerber USB to Serial/Parallel

Malkin

We currently have a PC with Windows 7, running Gerber Omega 4.0. It outputs to an HS15+, an EDGE (LE), and a 48" Odyssey. All are connected on USB to Serial/Parallel conversion cables (official Gerber part, not generic).

The PC is failing and will be replaced with one running Windows 10. Does anyone know if our setup is likely to continue to work as-is, or if it will require an Omega upgrade?

Officially Gerber says that Omega 4.0 is not compatible with Windows 10.
We do have a "layout only" station running Windows 10 with Omega 3.0, and it has no issues at all.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on this.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We currently have a PC with Windows 7, running Gerber Omega 4.0. It outputs to an HS15+, an EDGE (LE), and a 48" Odyssey. All are connected on USB to Serial/Parallel conversion cables (official Gerber part, not generic).

The PC is failing and will be replaced with one running Windows 10. Does anyone know if our setup is likely to continue to work as-is, or if it will require an Omega upgrade?

We do have a "layout only" station running Windows 10 with Omega 3.0, and it has no issues at all.

When software companies say their software is not compatible with a certain OS they almost always mean, they just wont' help you if you run into any issues. I have switched from OS to OS through the years and have noticed that going from Windows 7 to 10 does not seem to affect a ton of software. The only way to know is to try it. You might have to run in compatibility mode or something like that but I bet you can get it to work. Nothing should really change for the USB cable unless it has some proprietary driver that isn't available for windows 10 or something like that.

Bert Wondervan

In fact, the software that is compatible with Windows 7 must also work well with Windows 8 and 10.
Maybe the printer driver for GERBER is not working properly and needs an update.
Just install and see the result.

Hielorojo

I have Omega 3.0, Gerber Edge 1 and FX, run over Windows 10 32 BITS and perfect.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I’m using win 10 with an old oddessy and edge 2 - once I got their usb - conversion cables , deleted the win 10 print driver installed the gerber driver and it all works - old envision oddessy fx and edge 2 . You can download the drivers and instructions from gerber or spandex web sites

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
I’m using win 10 with an old oddessy and edge 2 - once I got their usb - conversion cables , deleted the win 10 print driver installed the gerber driver and it all works - old envision oddessy fx and edge 2 . You can download the drivers and instructions from gerber or spandex web sites
How did you deleted the old win 10 drivers?
All instructions are on the web site , search gerber download site https://www.gspinc.com/service/software-downloads

Malkin

For the record, all was successful eventually and did not require an Omega upgrade to function.
The above post is correct in that you HAVE to remove the win10 drivers if they get installed, and the USB cable driver installer from Gerber might have had to run in admin mode or compatibility mode (hard to remember as I tried many ways before I found the correct thing to do), other than that, the instructions from Gerber are spot-on.

Ek4949

Hi everyone,
I am trying to run Omega 4 with Gerber Edge 2 on Windows 10 x64. But I tried so many times to add the driver it says the driver is not compatible. This is the driver that comes with the Omega 4 discs.
It works fine on Windows 7 with a parallel to USB cable but the same cable and settings wont work on Windows 10.
I actually imaged the current windows 7 hard drive to a same model computer and upgraded that OS to windows 10 and it still didnt work.
I called Gerber and they told me that we need to upgrade since version 4 is not compatible with Windows 10.
I saw a few people posting here that they made Gerber Edge 2 work on windows 10 with Omega 4, I am really curious to see how it was done?
Any help would be really really appreciated.

Thank you