• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Competitive Pricing

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
Customer has a 20' x 6' corrugated black steel powder coated solid gate. He wants the entire gate covered front and back. It faces east/west and will get a lot of sun in South Florida. Quoted him about $6300 for design, materials, and install for Oracal 3951 High Tack with 290 laminate. He calls telling me that he has his big trucks wrapped for less than 5k - why does this gate cost so much more? I asked him what kind of material was being used on his big trucks - he doesn't know. Why doesn't he call the guys who do his big trucks and get a quote from them? No answer for that, either.

I don't feel like our quote was out of line. It's going to be at least 80ft of material plus design time and 2 guys installing in the South Florida heat. But pricing these kinds of jobs in our market seems to be a waste of our time - there's always some guy working out of his garage quoting out crap material and winning the job. How do you handle this kind of situation? Do you think our quote is too high?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It sounds about right, especially with it being corrugated and working outside with dirt, breezes and whatnot.

Your point about a backyard mechanic........ who do you know that will continue going to the dealership for work on their car after the warranty is over ?? EVERYONE is out looking for deal these days.

damonCA21

Thats over $50 sq/foot for a flat surface install. I would say that is pretty high. 80 ft of materials, two men working for one day ( max ) to install. How many hours are you putting aside for design work ?

damonCA21

It does very much depend though on what other people in your area will do the job for. If he has people quoting half that then you are too high, if they are quoting double then you are too cheap. You have to fit in with your local market to get the work

damonCA21

Doh missed it was both sides ! But by flat I meant an easier install then having to wrap a comlplicated thing like a truck which can take alot longer

signs_welly

Yeah - I'm not the installer but I wouldn't consider it easier than a box truck. Can't roll it into the garage, can't move it to a shady spot, it's black so the surface is going to be hot and it's corrugated. So the install is going to be rough for 2 guys in humid, hot conditions.

It's not going to be a slap it together design either - this is for an animal safari zoo type of place. Picture lots of zebra print and WiLd type of graphics with plenty of revisions.

But yes - there are plenty of garage printers in the area and they'll grab some no brand wrap material and slap that thing on. Maybe we'll hear from them in a year when the graphics are peeling off or fading.

After getting over myself and my ego, I just sent the client an email quoting him for just one panel on each side of the gate leaving the top and bottom black which would cut the cost a ton. Also gave him a quote to just put a vinyl banner on each side. So now at least he has some less expensive options and maybe won't have a bad taste in his mouth about our shop.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's always fun applying vinyl in the south during summer time. I had another sign company ask me to install printed black vinyl on storefront. $1200 for over 800 sq. 20 total windows. I said good luck with that.. it was 110 today and that vinyl will turn into a liquid.

damonCA21

Another option would be to board the gate in large panels. The vinyl could be installed to them in your shop, then just take the complete panels to the site and bolt them on. Would cut the install time down to a few hours Would also use a lot less vinyl as its a flat surface rather than corrugated, and would give the customer a better finished look as well as graphics on corrugated never look the best.

One thing I find useful sometimes to gauge if it is worth doing a large job is rather than quoting a set price straight off, is to ask the client what sort of budget they have in mind. You can then give them options around that price, but also tell them if they spent X amount, they could have it done this way, which would last longer and look better.

If they come in and say $1000 for a $5000 job then you know there is no point messing around, and just quote them your standard rate and say that is the best you can do.

ProSignTN

Your 20' will turn out to be 24' or more with the corrugation. I agree with damon CA21, flat panels are the way to go.

UberDapr

That sounds terrible. If i was an installer in your shop I would ask for an overnight install. Or at least hope for a little kickback lol

signs_welly

That sounds terrible. If i was an installer in your shop I would ask for an overnight install. Or at least hope for a little kickback lol
They can install whenever they want as far as I'm concerned as long as the customer is okay with it.

Haven't heard back from the customer since I sent him other options late on Friday. He's probably going to go somewhere else and that's okay.

2B

Your price seems fair for the specs listed.

If they are budget-focused, do a banner and self-tapping screws to the gate

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I dunno, if Gino's numbers are correct that's $26.25/sq ft. That's a pretty easy number to beat and not everyone minds working out in the heat. Do what Johnny said and you can also hose it down to cool it off before you start.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd try to talk them into a banner. Now they can swap out promo graphics every season without breaking the bank.